Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 74775 times)

This is terrible news.
Time to look for alternatives...

The team at Quixel must be cracking open the champagne right about now...... It's like finding out that Mike Tyson has been paralysed and will fight you in a wheelchair, 5 minutes before you're due to go 12 rounds.

That's hilarious you think Quixel is a better alternative since it literally requires Photoshop to even boot up. (you know, ADOBE photoshop?)

I'm referring to Megascans/Mixer. I wouldn't wipe my arse with Quixel Suite DDO, and I've been using Sub Painter since beta and Substances since they were practically unknown so you don't have to convince me of what's at stake here, mate.

What I'm getting at is that this opens the door for Quixel to get their shit together and build a brand new version of DDO that is entirely free from PS. Quixel Suite 3.0 is in production. Who knows what they will create?

Let's hope they will not create ANYTHING of value or else they will be bought be Adobe as well.

Horrible news for the future of the product.
I remember one of your surveys, in the "free zone" I wrote something along the lines of "whatever you do, don't sell to Adobe".

I remember how it went for Mixamo's Fuse... it was a disaster from a consumer standpoint.

well this is sad, another company consumed by adobe.
Well adobe will srew up the texturing tools industry like autodesk messed up the 3d development spftware like softimage,3d max ,maya.
I got into substance software as a superior alternative to photoshop only to end back back to those guys......
sigh need to look for new software .

>:(

As long as the Substance Suite price doesn't increase I can't see what all the negativity is about. Is this the right move well time will tell. Good luck with the move.

It will increase because if you read the posts from Allegorithmic they made zero indication that pricing would remain the same in future, and they did not comment on if their product line would be merged with Creative Cloud. As of now we're okay, and with current licensees, but in future you'll see a revision, I can guarantee that. (I'm also not saying prices wouldn't increase if Adobe wasn't here, but I'm pointing the fact that we're going to most likely be hit with a much higher fee - increasing a bit each year isn't an issue, but not by hundreds of dollars)

I would find it hard to believe that pricing would stay the same, the merger would only make sense if Adobe is able to squeeze additional revenue out of Allegorithmic's products knowing that many studios have Substance as part of their workflow.

Out of the 200+ replies, majority of the concern is about Adobe's track record when acquiring other businesses, and their horrible pricing policies for their products.

On the plus side, if this goes down hill which I hope it doesn't, it will open the way for competitors to take advantage of the opportunity, and for new software to be developed. One of my friends had their studio program in house 3D texturing software already, so people out there can do it.

I'll wait for my subscription to run out in three months, then buy the non-subscription versions.
Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:48:17 pm

WOW. Way to betray your customers, Allegorithmic.

How will this affect our abilities to convert our subscription to a perpetual one?

I guarantee that Adobe is going to forcefully kill this feature. 

Ugh.  I just upgraded one of my old substance painter perpetual licenses into a Substance subscription last week with the intent of paying the $50 one year from now to convert it back into a perpetual license and then this happens.  12 months from now I'm probably screwed.

I don't play with Adobe - that shit is the plague and you're unlucky if you absolutely must use them.

and how do you know that it won't go differently (not that I agree that ALL Adobe deals have ended up badly) - the only way to KNOW it won't be different is to know the future - which you do not ;)

Because past performance shows how it goes. The logical conclusion is that it will go the same way as past ventures not differently. So oyu have two sides
  1. Saying this is bad based on past actions
  2. Those who hope this will run differently

Group 1 is using actually data and past performance to predict future performance, group 2 is making wishing and hopes despite the data and past performance

Repeating the same thing expecting a different result is insane

I worked for years with products Adobe has purchased. In every case the support was abysmal, product innovation was virtually non-existent.

Even with Photoshop, support is a free for all of misinformed, misdirected community commentary.

I hope this is different.

On a brighter subject: Who's the favorite competitor in the PBR space. I've been satisfied with Substance, but feel I'll be shopping soon.

As long as the Substance Suite price doesn't increase I can't see what all the negativity is about. Is this the right move well time will tell. Good luck with the move.

It will increase because if you read the posts from Allegorithmic they made zero indication that pricing would remain the same in future, and they did not comment on if their product line would be merged with Creative Cloud. As of now we're okay, and with current licensees, but in future you'll see a revision, I can guarantee that. (I'm also not saying prices wouldn't increase if Adobe wasn't here, but I'm pointing the fact that we're going to most likely be hit with a much higher fee - increasing a bit each year isn't an issue, but not by hundreds of dollars)

I would find it hard to believe that pricing would stay the same, the merger would only make sense if Adobe is able to squeeze additional revenue out of Allegorithmic's products knowing that many studios have Substance as part of their workflow.

Out of the 200+ replies, majority of the concern is about Adobe's track record when acquiring other businesses, and their horrible pricing policies for their products.

On the plus side, if this goes down hill which I hope it doesn't, it will open the way for competitors to take advantage of the opportunity, and for new software to be developed. One of my friends had their studio program in house 3D texturing software already, so people out there can do it.

I'll wait for my subscription to run out in three months, then buy the non-subscription versions.

Good and valid points that I hadn't considered. I did see a lot of posts (yes I read the whole thread first) about Adobes track record and not been subjected to anything negative from them I have no idea who's is right so I said nothing about that. :)

OH I should have said hope the price doesn't increase while I am paying toward a perpetual license.
Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:58:01 pm

Our current license scheme doesn't change, futur plans will be announced at some point but we will keep it fair.

How can you believe even for a sec that the wording "we will keep it fair" would make anyone confortable right now.

You really did not expected this reaction? You had no clue what is comming after this anoncement?
Do not tell me guys, that you do not have a communication team...

"will be fair".. lol  < what we should "imagine" here? How you palned it?

Give us PS + give us illustrator + AI + Adobe Portfolio till our existing substance subscription - that would be the minimum to keep the community together.

So it's good for us, for existing subscribers or we can hope that it will be "fair"?

So many questions.. like Adobe do not have Indi subs, how they will convert indi and non indi subs due to substance???
What will happen with Alchemy? To separate content into Alchemy was the part of the master plan with Adobe right? So basicaly soon Alchemy will have "everything" and we will be able to subscribe to it true CC and we can eat our Substance perma licenses? Thats the plan right?

"Finally, when you think about it, Adobe is the only software company in our field developing tools for digital creatives like us, tools that are platform and pipeline agnostic as our tools are, that has millions of users for its products (like us… soon!), and that is so close to our DNA."  -Sebastien Deguy (CEO Allegorithmic)

Is this satire?
The company (Adobe) that barely offers Linux support (if at all) and has been the bane of pipeline integration in every studio I've set foot in, is platform and pipeline agnostic? There's a reason Foundry has more dominance in many industries these days.

Gotta agree.

He cant be serious with that statement and not know of all the integration problems, feedback problems, iteration problems, pricing/licensing problems, et. al. ad nasuem, from Adobe, towards studio setups.

If he really believes that, then I can only assume he has never gone to a partner studio and ask them about their problems.

As a pipeline engineer, 15 years, that is beyond obtuse.

this happens in the precise moment i am transitioning to stop using adobe products, their products have not really improved in several years, premiere pro still has issues editing mp4 videos in 2019.

while i wish the best to allegorithmic this is really sad news for me as a new uster, this kind of movements have killed awesome companies, the most recent, blizzard - activision.

Just unbelievable. I just can't believe it. It's a nightmare.