Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 74658 times)

RIP
now I have to find a way to remove the plugin from my game and start looking for an alternative for painter and designer (that I'm pretty sure there isn't yet)

sad day... :'(

Haha Wes is definitely staying in the team, as is everybody else.

Get back to us in a year ....

As much as this news was a blow, I'm happy to read this. Wes has been a pillar for the community.
Despite the announcements, we will still continue to use the perpetual licenses, but I personally will stop recommending the toolset because no longer can I guarantee others about its benefits in the long run. (except for being groundbreaking software, don't get me wrong)
It's just hard to believe Adobe will go out of their way to ensure licensing compatibility with Allegorithmics' offers.

If by wonder you guys do manage to sort everything out with Adobe and ensure a 1:1 integration, my faith will be restored.
It's like someone said earlier:

Adobe I have to pay.
Allegorithmic I want to pay.

Impatiently awaiting an update on the matter.

... I feel the need to add that cancelling that adobe CC subscrition was no easy job! I had to speak with 3 different customer support agents, then! when I was assured that my sub was cancelled ...

I've discontinued the Adobe CC subscription twice. The first time a few years ago I had to talk with an Adobe rep in a chat and the cancellation was a bit of a mess since I was trying to cancel it a few days too late and the yearly subsciption had already automatically renewed. Still, the cancellation went through and it all turned out fine in the end. The second time was last fall and you can now do the cancellation in a few seconds on their website without having to talk with anyone, and you get automatically offered a discount if you stay. I assume Adobe listened and realized it's for their best interest to try to keep their clients happy. Even though we leave we tend to come back at some point so no need to alienate us.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Adobe but that said I use mostly Photoshop for painting and I do like it a lot. I also use Corel Painter for painting and there's no denying that Photoshop is much much more fluid to use, even though Corel Painter 2019 was a huge step forward in usability.

I just turned my Substance subscription into perpetual licenses a few days ago so I don't really know what to make of the news. It's not necessarily super bad news but I do get why people are worried. In any case thankfully it was Adobe and not Autodesk.

Wow - all of these people that know the future! can one of y'all send me the winning lotto ticket numbers? buncha whiners LOL

Congrats guys - I rest assured knowing that you guys will do your best to continue what you have been doing for us all these years - and hopefully you guys can rub off some of your innovative attitudes TO Adobe - maybe you guys are the catalyst needed at Adobe to liven things up!

No need to know the future when you can see past performance. In order for this to go any other way then for some strange reason Adobe would have to treat this deal different than any other deal they have done before

Some links, since the one I received in the Allegorithmic email no longer works:

Blog post: https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/allegorithmic-joining-adobe-family

Sebastien Deguy's post on Medium: https://medium.com/@sebastien.deguy/https-medium-com-sebastien-deguy-my-peter-jackson-moment-7dd64ba1d1f1

Maybe the theme for your first Adobe contest can be....what Allegorithmic devs would look like once Assimilation is complete  :P

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!

I am a customer who bought perpetual versions of both Painter and Designer. I also have a full Adobe Creative Cloud membership. If I could have simply bought perpetual (up to date that is - I have old boxed versions of PS) versions of Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign that would have been my preference.

Like most people I'm not the biggest fan of Adobe's subscription model. I dislike the way it's set up. It's fine if you just want a single product. You pay for that. If you need three or four products they cost so much subscribed to singly that you are better off just getting the full service. I wish there was a 'graphic design' subscription with the three products listed above just as there's a 'Photography' option.

Hopefully the Allegorithmic part of Adobe will be allowed some measure of independence and things can for the most part continue as they have done. Allegorithmic's customer support and responsiveness have been second-to-none when I had an issue with one of their products. I'm not sure Adobe will be as focused on that. I hope I am proved wrong.

I guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed and see.

@nmargie Adobe has a great track record at integrating companies. Even Photoshop was an acquisition, and the team is still there more than 20 years later.

Flash was dying for a long long time. Photoshop: no innovation at all. Yes, they are there stationary in a spider's web. Every innovative tool is from copying third party plugins and low budget softwares. Illustrator is the same case. No innovation. I struggle with the same old simple things for years because updates don't focus on getting softwares better just covering and involving more and more business fields.

After Effects team created an extremely lame and childish version of the esoteric spine 2d rigging system, just to step into this river too. And meanwhile you have to keep struggling with after effects performance issues for years. Every future plan is about gobbling up everything. They f.cked up Cool Edit Pro too.

No need to know the future when you can see past performance. In order for this to go any other way then for some strange reason Adobe would have to treat this deal different than any other deal they have done before

and how do you know that it won't go differently (not that I agree that ALL Adobe deals have ended up badly) - the only way to KNOW it won't be different is to know the future - which you do not ;)

I am just about, finally, to buy an Indie license and this news hasn't changed my mind, in fact it hastened my decision to do so.

From someone that could never afford to buy a copy of Photoshop, the subscription model finally allowed me to do so. Was I happy when I heard the news of subscription, no but that was before I saw things differently. The way I looked at it was it 1: it enabled me to finally use a modern copy (had CS2 when they gave it away free) and 2: the price IMO was fair. About 6 or so years of subscription payments would have been equal to buying CS6 outright, only to pay more for upgrades a few years after. If I stop working then I will not have the need for CC and I can use GIMP or some cheaper alternative for hobby stuff.

I have never had an issues with CC 2017 onwards, never had problems using it, never crashes on me. CC2109 loads a lot more quicker now for me. In short I can rely on it and that is what I need, reliability.

As long as the Substance Suite price doesn't increase I can't see what all the negativity is about. Is this the right move well time will tell. Good luck with the move.

As much as this news was a blow, I'm happy to read this. Wes has been a pillar for the community.
Despite the announcements, we will still continue to use the perpetual licenses, but I personally will stop recommending the toolset because no longer can I guarantee others about its benefits in the long run. (except for being groundbreaking software, don't get me wrong)
It's just hard to believe Adobe will go out of their way to ensure licensing compatibility with Allegorithmics' offers.

If by wonder you guys do manage to sort everything out with Adobe and ensure a 1:1 integration, my faith will be restored.
It's like someone said earlier:

Adobe I have to pay.
Allegorithmic I want to pay.

Impatiently awaiting an update on the matter.

Well said!!! Kudo's.

Horrible. . .this has destroyed any form of future enjoyment using this software! I refuse to pay for subscription only products. I simply can't afford subscriptions because I am a generalist and I use many pieces of software. Lumping all of you tools into one subscription is beyond a rip off. Luckily there are other render engines out there that also have pretty good procedural shaders these days. Hell I might even use lightwave again for rendering and baking =P. Now that's desperate lol, but at least their pricing is beyond reasonable. Probably will invest in mari or stick with 3d coat. I'm glad there is still competition out there.
Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:43:25 pm

The brilliant Wes McDermot will be replaced with a corporate robot button pusher with no industry experience or passion for the tools.

The team at Quixel must be cracking open the champagne right about now...... It's like finding out that Mike Tyson has been paralysed and will fight you in a wheelchair, 5 minutes before you're due to go 12 rounds.

I'm thinking the Uniblab from the Jetsons. :)

I thought about the Quixel option as well and doubt that will happen. They have lost so much traction. And who wants to rely on Photoshop for this? They need a standalone app.

Well, this is a terrible decision. As someone who was a former Adobe Business Catlyst partner, this announcement lets me know not to count on this this software anymore if Adobe is running it. They have a very nasty habit of announcing end-of-life on major products without warning, leaving their high-paying customers in the lurch. Not pleased at all. How long before Adobe tells Substance users with a perpetual license that their perpetual license is no longer valid?