Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 75084 times)

Haha Wes is definitely staying in the team, as is everybody else.

"Finally, when you think about it, Adobe is the only software company in our field developing tools for digital creatives like us, tools that are platform and pipeline agnostic as our tools are, that has millions of users for its products (like us… soon!), and that is so close to our DNA."  -Sebastien Deguy (CEO Allegorithmic)

Is this satire?
The company (Adobe) that barely offers Linux support (if at all) and has been the bane of pipeline integration in every studio I've set foot in, is platform and pipeline agnostic? There's a reason Foundry has more dominance in many industries these days.

___
This is a huge deal for the developers at Allegorithmic and I'm glad this finally affords you the flexibility you've worked hard for.
But from an end-user perspective, there's minimal optimism left, unfortunately. :(
Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:21:31 pm

The team at Quixel must be cracking open the champagne right about now...... It's like finding out that Mike Tyson has been paralysed and will fight you in a wheelchair, 5 minutes before you're due to go 12 rounds.

Does Quixel still require photoshop?

Wow - all of these people that know the future! can one of y'all send me the winning lotto ticket numbers? buncha whiners LOL

Congrats guys - I rest assured knowing that you guys will do your best to continue what you have been doing for us all these years - and hopefully you guys can rub off some of your innovative attitudes TO Adobe - maybe you guys are the catalyst needed at Adobe to liven things up!

The team at Quixel must be cracking open the champagne right about now...... It's like finding out that Mike Tyson has been paralysed and will fight you in a wheelchair, 5 minutes before you're due to go 12 rounds.

That's hilarious you think Quixel is a better alternative since it literally requires Photoshop to even boot up. (you know, ADOBE photoshop?)

For the time being........ just wait until the corporate vampires suck your will to live from your once joyous soul..... ;)

I really hope things remain as they are, but I'm not that naive. I've been around the CG block for many years and have been in this very moment many times before. It always ends in disappointment and the death of innovation.

You knew your customers would hate this decision and did it anyway.

That says a lot about your priorities and character as a company.

You can make all the promises you want, but the fact is that in a year or two all final decisions will be made by someone much higher up who's priority is to get as many CC subscriptions as possible. That means catering to everyday designers who use Photoshop and Illustrator or content creators who use Premiere and a little AE. That's why they are pushing the idea of "Easy 3D" in Dimension.

So when the choice is to develop tools that are "easy and approachable" for the majority of potential CC customers or "powerful and innovative" for for the significantly smaller group of us that have used your programs, what do you think the higher ups at Adobe are going to decide?

The answer is obvious. It'll take a couple years but it's inevitable. This really sucks.

Maybe the theme for your first Adobe contest can be....what Allegorithmic devs would look like once Assimilation is complete  :P

Soon we're gonna have to install adobe's creative cloud "always-sitting-in-your-tray eating system resources for no reason, making everything as uncomfortable as possible, spawning 50 new processes on startup"-software. That alone is actually a reason for me to completely abandon this software. 3D work isn't lightweight, i know that - and most of us have workstations that can easily handle this. But i prefer my stand-alone software. Everyone's got a launcher these days, one that takes ages to start up, does all kinds of background-bs - and just wont stop nagging you about "really important things you must do". Woohoo Cloud experience! "But you can disable these notifications!" - Yes! Until the next *cloooouuud* update re-enables them. Huge no-go from me. I loved the awesome software, i loved the great people that work @ allegorithmic. I loved the support i got from them for the past years.

As soon as we reach the point where the creative cloud launcher is a must to download, install and maybe launch the software, linux support will be dropped, too. Adobe is completely anti-linux - i was really happy with the linux-only 3D pipeline i was using so far. I doubt Adobe would change a single thing just so one of their recent aquisitions could work properly on linux.

I tried staying away from adobe for as long as i could, their products might be great, but they're the epitome of corporate greed in the world of digital design.

I'm definitely nervous about this, even though I am already (by my own choice) on the subscription model with Allegorithmic. I do not use Creative Cloud because I feel the other tools I have from other sources are better.

That being said, I congratulate (sincerely) the Allegorithmic team on growing their company to achieve what is probably a substantial financial success here. I'm nervous, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

One small favor I ask of the new merged company, is PLEASE do not put unrelated products into the installation of Substance plugins and tools by default, requiring the user to opt OUT of installing something unwanted each time there is a minor upgrade. Flash and Acrobat Reader already do this, defaulting to adding an antivirus product during installation.

I really enjoy using Substance Designer in my Unity development work, and I hope it will continue to be the product it has been and evolve as it has been evolving.

I really hope Painter remains completely separate from the Creative Suite. I wouldn't mind paying a subscription for Substance Source as it offers great value for an aspiring indie developer like me. But I don't want any of Adobe's bloated and overpriced software, that's for sure.
Tragic news, that's what this is.  :'(

Well this is sad. I hope you all of you at Allegorithmic realize you have destroyed the trust you built with your customers. It's not that you are dishonest, it's that your new master is. Nothing you say is to be trusted anymore because it can be over ridden. Allegorithmic is no longer the sole authority on Substance. Today I am really glad I never came to rely 100% on the Substance suite for my tools and kept my Mari knowledge up to date.

That's hilarious you think Quixel is a better alternative since it literally requires Photoshop to even boot up. (you know, ADOBE photoshop?)

I'm referring to Megascans/Mixer. I wouldn't wipe my arse with Quixel Suite DDO, and I've been using Sub Painter since beta and Substances since they were practically unknown so you don't have to convince me of what's at stake here, mate.

What I'm getting at is that this opens the door for Quixel to get their shit together and build a brand new version of DDO that is entirely free from PS. Quixel Suite 3.0 is in production. Who knows what they will create?

Started On 2018-07-28 Cancelled on 2019-01-23 by user
Started On 2018-07-30 Cancelled on 2019-01-23 by user

This is my response to your "exciting developments".
Never in my life will i support leased software.
Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:43:00 pm

How can you say that?
In the first place maybe, but after that !
It seems like you don't know how it goes when one company buys another.