Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 74510 times)

I tell you what make a bloody poll and see if people are 'happy and excited' by these news. Cancel any agreement you had with adobe this is a disaster.

Congrats for selling your company to the biggest A-hole in graphic industry. You are not the first and won’t be the last. In the past 25 years adobe been swallowing a bunch of companies extracting what the need and killing the rest getting rid of the developers like frame maker, page maker, drum beat, go live, firework, freehand, director, authoreware and so many other I don’t remember the names. Which ever software survive turns to subscription only plan like dream weaver and flash the only apps from macro media survived out of 10. The only time adobe buy a company which it cannot directly competes to their product remember flash and dreamweaver from macro media they build live motion to compete against flash and bought go live to complete against dreamweaver after the failed attempts they end up buying them.

Not a single developer wants to leave right now. ;)

There must be a stay-for-little-bit-more-til-our-team-takes-over bonu$$$ involved.  ;)

Another thing - I'm a bit disappointed you couldn't run that decision by your customers (we pay your salaries)  before making that decision. Like maybe a poll on the forum or something. That makes me think you don't really care what we think.
Ofcourse they dont care. And never did. They have a corporate soul, not a creative one.

I have to disagree 100000% with this. While I hate the decision to join Adobe; up to this point Allegorithmic has been one of the most customer friendly companies. They managed to
   Offer a great one of a kind product
   Keep cost low
   Offered sales and even let you exchange steam licenses for stand online version
   Had low cost upgrade prices

11 page... don’t want read through looking for answers I look for..
for someone (and me) who already subscribe adobe, what benefit for us who have perpetual licenses?

Any changes planned about education licenses ?

No changes planned in our licensing scheme for now. Things will likely evolve of course and we will communicate about it in due time.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

I really hope Adobe UI team does better...I hate the dark theme and the overall UI mechanics, its counter productive. And the worst, you`re not even trying to give an alternative.

Not to dash your hopes, but have you used Adobe products? They can't make a consistent UI to save their lives. How many dialogs in Photoshop can be closed with the ESC key and how many can not?

Suggesting there is a "team" for UI development at Adobe is kind of silly.

pws

Another thing - I'm a bit disappointed you couldn't run that decision by your customers (we pay your salaries)  before making that decision. Like maybe a poll on the forum or something. That makes me think you don't really care what we think.
Ofcourse they dont care. And never did. They have a corporate soul, not a creative one.

I have to disagree 100000% with this. While I hate the decision to join Adobe; up to this point Allegorithmic has been one of the most customer friendly companies. They managed to
   Keep cost low

has been. I second that. We'll see what happens in the long run.

on the other hand...
If the development fund grows beyond 30k:
Particles and hair nodes
Texturing tools and tools for procedural textures
Painting and Sculpting improvements
Better snapping and precision modeling
Cycles: denoising
Compositor
https://code.blender.org/2018/12/blender-development-fund-projects-for-first-half-2019/
Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:16:00 pm

No changes planned in our licensing scheme for now. Things will likely evolve of course and we will communicate about it in due time.

Here's hoping this overwhelmingly negative feedback about this decision influences decisions about licensing.

Nothing against Allegorithmic now we are dealing with adobe better start looking for product replacement and hope the monster don’t buy that too

I dare you to make a poll about about how well customers are taking this and let only us take part in it (no 'people' from adobe or your own employees taking part in voting).

This is NOT GOOD news for your users. 

Adobe hasn't done anything "creative" in years (except buy up software company's like Allegorithmic) and when they move to the "SUBSCRIPTION ONLY" model, you WILL lose many of your users. We know the creators and management of Substance / Allegorithmic don't care ... the bosses just walked away with MILLIONS of dollars. The rest of the peon's are basically screwed.

I, and many others, do not "rent" software. The subscription business model is only good for the SELLER. The USER ends up paying for the same software over and over and over.

You say licensing won't change ... just look at the ADOBE business model. Perpetual Licenses will be gone in 3 months.

It was good using your software ... I have Painter and was, just today, going to purchase Designer ... not now. One sale lost already...

Bye, bye.
Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:20:28 pm

@nmargie:
You said:

" I have to disagree 100000% with this. While I hate the decision to join Adobe; up to this point Allegorithmic has been one of the most customer friendly companies. They managed to
   Keep cost low
   Had low cost upgrade prices"

[/quote]

The correct thing you SHOULD have said:  Allegorithmic USE TO:
   Keep cost low

After Adobe, none of those statements will be true.
Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:19:44 pm

Oh well. It was great while it lasted.

On licensing: I'm not not a fan of "subscribing" to software. The only reason I went with the Allegorithmic deal was that I could convert to a perpetual license once I had made enough installments.

Rest assured that if (when) Adobe changes the model to mandatory subscription, I will cancel. I just hope we will be allowed to convert to a perpetual license before that happens.

The brilliant Wes McDermot will be replaced with a corporate robot button pusher with no industry experience or passion for the tools.

The team at Quixel must be cracking open the champagne right about now...... It's like finding out that Mike Tyson has been paralysed and will fight you in a wheelchair, 5 minutes before you're due to go 12 rounds.

This is NOT GOOD news for your users. 

Adobe hasn't done anything "creative" in years (except buy up software company's like Allegorithnmic) and when they move to the "SUBSCRIPTION ONLY" model, you WILL lose many of your users. We know the creators and management of Substance / Allegorithmic don't care ... the bosses just walked away with MILLIONS of dollars. The rest of the peon's are basically screwed.

I, and many others, do not "rent" software. The subscription business model is only good for the SELLER. The USER ends up paying for the same software over and over and over.

You say licensing won't change ... just look at the ADOBE business model. Perpetual Licenses will be gone in 3 months.

It was good using your software ... I have Painter and was, just today, going to purchase Designer ... not now. One sale lost already...

Bye, bye.

THIS is exactly what I'm afraid of, and what most people in the 12 pages of comments are afraid of. The licensing, specifically,  Adobe forcing a change to subscription only licensing.

I'm an indie game developer, I'm not a full time artist. I would spend maybe 1 or 2 months in every 4 working on art, the rest is programming, level design, etc.

Using substance painter has massively improved the quality of my (still, relatively basic) art, and I am hugely delighted that I have access to this software, however, as I said, I'm not a full time artist, so paying every month for software that I don't use every single month might not be something I will be able to do.

I will have to wait and see what happens, but if a subscription only licence becomes mandatory, I will have a serious problem.