Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 113692 times)

I just wanted to voice my opinion as both a Substance user and an Adobe user. I am NOT a fan of this move. As a individual creator I cannot afford on going subscriptions. and I rankle at the notion of having my creations and my ability to do my work held hostage by a monthly subscription fee. After Adobe's CS6 I have not purchased any of their products, because of their move to a subscription only model. As much as I love Substance, I can't afford a monthly subscription. I really liked being able to purchase a piece of software once and not having to worry about it.

I know that my two cents on the topic will have no effect Allegorithmic's decisions, but I needed to say it at least once.

Same man, wondering if I can get my PiP disability pay to give me some extra if I have to may monthly as I have to work from home and so my income is really low.  Otherwise, yeah.

"evetodew" Reply #64 described perfectly why the subscritpion model is simply bad for the user

As soon as Substance will move to "Creative Cloud" I'll stop buying new versions.
For sure !

@nmargie This can't be further from the truth though,Adobe has a great track record at integrating companies. Even Photoshop was an acquisition, and the team is still there more than 20 years later.
Maybe, but what I see as an experienced and daily user of afeter effects and photoshop is that
since the first CC we can count on the fingers of one hand the useful novelties.

So where are these innovations hidden ?

PS : And as a French customer I am doubly disappointed !

we understand your apprehension and the last thing we want is to deceive you or lose your trust.

But you see there's the rub. You're not in any position to make any promises anymore. The evil Adobe people will just override any and all of your decisions.

And after they've bled dry your userbase and your talent, stagnation will follow, just like in all the core Adobe products that haven't received significant new functionality in many many years.

This is a sad day.

Keep Calm and invest in funding Blender.

2.80 Beta is available and it is so sexy.

Check their Development Fund program https://fund.blender.org/ and think about corporate donations to point out your needs.

Most importantly - it's free and it always be.

Community is huge and amazing. And even now you can achieve mostly the same as in Substance software. Just a bit harder for now.

We will announce new licensing options later this year, but again, rest assure it will be cheap and have a lot of value, we wouldn't settle for anything else.

I'm sorry I can't reply to everyone personnaly, that a lot of you, but we understand your apprehension and the last thing we want is to deceive you or lose your trust. We will keep on delivering and we will keep on being Indie friendly.

As long as we don't have to pay again if we already purchased the Indy version from Steam it's fine.

I really hope Adobe UI team does better...I hate the dark theme and the overall UI mechanics, its counter productive. And the worst, you`re not even trying to give an alternative.
Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 05:44:13 pm

Well, that's it for me. I gave up on Adobe a couple years ago so it looks like Allegorithmic will be next.  Maybe Serif will pick up the slack.
(23Jun20) Ryzen 1800x,  Samsung 970 EVO 1tb NVME-M.2 SSD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G2 PS
Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 446.14 (27May18), Win 10 Pro x64

pws

We will announce new licensing options later this year, but again, rest assure it will be cheap and have a lot of value, we wouldn't settle for anything else.

Will you still sell perpetuals?
I feel so #meedobe... argh!

Linux version will remain and not abandoned? Can anyone confirm?
Yes, they will remain.

This Adobe news is a grand slam sucker punch, especially just after recently upgrading my perpetual licenses. I was an Adobe customer for twenty years, but when they went monthly rental it pushed me out, ethically and morally. Still grind CS6, but open source tools have filled the void and are now the bleeding edge of innovation. When Allegorithmic finally goes all Adobe subscription, I will be done. RIP. Merde, this really terrible news, what a terrible way to begin 2019...

If Painter goes CC-only, I'll be gone. Thats a promise.

Are you guys kidding me???????????????

Adobe ruins everything!! Do Not Continue with them for the love of god and the sake of your company!

They ruined PDFs so I moved to Foxit, They ruined Photoshop so I moved to Krita, They ruined Mixamo/Fuse so I flat out stopped using it.

And now watch, mark my words, they'll ruin your software too!

I honestly was planning on investing into your software soon for my Indie Game Studio but, if this is happening, that thought just went from 1000% to -5 Million %, never gonna happen and I can guarantee without a doubt you'll lose a huge following of users and new users.

Hi everyone, we have some big news to share with you today.

Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family! For more details, please read our blogpost for more details and feel free to ask any question here.

You can also read our CEO Sebastien's thoughts about this move here on Medium.

Well this royal sucks for the user. Would much rather the price of Substance increase 500% per a person then to be sold out to such an unimaginative, stagnant, corporate quagmire. Have fun communicating with marketing departments who will get to dictate your feature development road maps. lol

Well, that's it for me. I gave up on Adobe a couple years ago so it looks like Allegorithmic will be next.  Maybe Serif will pick up the slack.
I wouldn't be so sure, they are struggling to catch up with Photoshop with their Affinity line and have very little interest in games industry. When I asked about .targa file format for example, they said responded with "no one uses it" rather than actually looking into implementing something so simple. They're a much smaller team than Adobe, like 200 times smaller.

Anyway, Allegorithmic, I really do trust you guys and I believe you know best, but like practically everyone else I dislike Adobe. I worry about the future development of Substance and the costs to the end users. I really hope that what comes from this acquisition is that you help Adobe become more like Allegorithmic, with customer support, costs and innovation. You guys are way better than Adobe IMO and they got the better deal out of this. Still, all the best! I'll be watching development and I hope the only thing that changes is faster/better development :)

You sold your soul, buddies.
@Developers: Flee as fast as you can!