Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 103011 times)

By the way, it's the first time that I hear about "Adobe Dimension"
What kind of render it is?
- It's a biased or an unbiased one? BPR?
- It's utalizeing CPU or GPU
- Just CUDA if GPU or OpenCL as well?
- Pathtraceing, ray traceing?
- Can we render huge scenes with it?
- Can it handle sequences?

Can not find anything about it.. just some advertisment content

Don't quote me on this, but I believe Dimension is a biased raytracer. If I remember correctly, it uses VRay as it's render core. Despite that though, I personally regard it as 'Mickey Mouse' software, meaning it's there for non professionals to be able to create decent 3D visuals with almost zero experience.

It certainly doesn't sit very well beside SP and SD...

Also, SP and SP (I believe ) use IRay for their render previews, I can't imagine that sitting very well with Adobe considering what Dimension uses.

It will be very interesting in future months as I think Adobe will buy out Maxon (like somebody has already alluded to) in their quest for a complete end-to-end 3D solution...

Watch this space...

Dimension uses an in-house raytracer (it was using Vray in its first version) and uses the MDL format for its materials, same as iray.
Substance materials either from SD or SP will render 100% identical in Dimension already.

A RTX GPU accelerated version is also in the works.

It can render pretty expensive scenes, example:

Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:26:51 am

Yep, thought it used VRay. It just seems like a very simple 3D/compositing app... 3D for the masses... Yuk.

https://www.chaosgroup.com/news/chaos-group-and-adobe-bring-photoreal-rendering-to-graphic-designers

they 'have to' say most  heartwarming and cushy things about Adobe products now.
need to do your own research and tests

'You can buy these wonderful models from https://stock.adobe.com/3d-assets and make your designer friends jealous with your renders yeyyy'
My favorites are garlic model and 'LOVE' text.

From the Peter Jackson moment
“Adobe is bringing Allegorithmic on board so that we can, along with the incredible talent at Adobe which has already been working on 3D projects and research, invent the next generation of 3D creative tools, with Substance as a flagship product, but also combining Adobe’s own current 3D initiatives like Adobe Dimension, and more,”

so their priority will never ever be games and films.

they 'have to' say most  heartwarming and cushy things about Adobe products now.

'You can buy these wonderful models from https://stock.adobe.com/3d-assets and make your designer friends jealous with your renders yeyyy'

“Adobe is bringing Allegorithmic on board so that we can, along with the incredible talent at Adobe which has already been working on 3D projects and research, invent the next generation of 3D creative tools, with Substance as a flagship product, but also combining Adobe’s own current 3D initiatives like Adobe Dimension, and more,”

It's $30 a month to get 10 assets off that store. Hooo boy the quality you get for the price.

It's $30 a month to get 10 assets off that store. Hooo boy the quality you get for the price.

Wait you mean...
I can own this for JUST 30 bucks a month!

thats a steal! This is going to change 3d game forever! imagine putting 'dot normals' on that with SP. WOW

'Use it to get 3d effects without being a 3D expert' :) this should be the new motto.
Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:34:45 am

I found this. Who knows, they might even make 3D modeling software and become a competitor to Autodesk but as a Blender user I simply don't care.

I found this. Who knows, they might even make 3D modeling software and become a competitor to Autodesk but as a Blender user I simply don't care.

They won't make 3D software, they'll just buy Maxon. Plus, the LAST thing you should want is them making 3D software, this is a texturing suite, we don't need it to get sidetracked to go on a farce of developing every tool imaginable, that's how you end up with half baked shitty software.

Dimension uses an in-house raytracer (it was using Vray in its first version) and uses the MDL format for its materials, same as iray.
Substance materials either from SD or SP will render 100% identical in Dimension already.

Ah, that makes sense then, perfect bedfellows...

Surely it's not a coincidence that both SD/SP and Adobe Dimension both now use IRay

This is not a criticism or a slight, merely an observation ;)

@Xathian

I am not saying the ARE making a new 3D modeling software, just saying they might, since they now lead the 3D initiative in Adobe. They wouldn't even have to make it themselves. They could hire and guide a new team for that. The reason they hired them is so they can improve their 3D lineup. So this to be different from the typical aquisition...at least that's what they seem to be saying.

Since they lead the 3D initiative, I wonder how much autonomy they have over what features are implemented, how they are implemented and how new versions of Substance products are priced.
Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 11:28:18 am

Adobe have been working on a prototype UI for the new CC lineup....

I have to admit that's the way it looks like it's heading... at some point there will be 2 new flavours of SD/SP

Substance Designer Fi

Substance Painter Fi

Anyone guess what the FI stands for ;) ?
Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 11:59:49 am

Now EVERYONE can be an artist! The Adobe way!

Ah, that makes sense then, perfect bedfellows...

Surely it's not a coincidence that both SD/SP and Adobe Dimension both now use IRay

This is not a criticism or a slight, merely an observation ;)

There is no indication that Dimension uses IRay, judging from Jeremie's post.  But I think that a wider adoption of the MDL format is a good thing.

oh man that seems so accurate :(

adobe is the mcdonalds of the creativity. there must be a party at the foundry headquarters
they eliminated a serious competitor without spending a dime.
mari already started to implement allegorithmics good ideas. in the future (well, already is)that would be the package to create world class assets with a price tag while allegorithmic is making thousands of meetings with adobe to figure out the best way to drag and drop a texture on logos.

and there will be nothing inbetween for hobbyist and indie

we cant really have anything we like  :-\
Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:32:03 pm