Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 112577 times)

Been looking at 3DCoat and Z-Brush. They look interesting but come with a higher pricetag. Especially Z-Brush. Forget about Mari. 2000$?? get outta here.

ZBrush may cost a little more but once you buy its yours for life with upgrades for life. I bought my copy of ZBrush in 2007. Its the same license, more than 10 years of updates, not a penny more was asked of me. But you know what, because they didn't push me to buy or pay for upgrades or do anything underhanded I bought more licenses for my home computer and my work computer, and converted a few coworkers into liking and using ZBrush.

Pixologic is a company that has done everything right in terms of customer focus and customer priority. Other companies should take a good hard look at Pixologic and do what they did. Thats how you become a stable long term and loved company.

3D Coat has a serious problem that should send every artist screaming in the opposite direction. They've terminated and revoke licenses on the personal opinion of the owners that the artists work was obscene (like creating a nude sculpture,  a nude human form, excessive gore, or that felt it belittled or demeaned their religion) without refund.

See their own personal statement here:

https://3dcoat.com/about-us/our-voice/

I personally would never financially support a company that will actively take their personal beliefs into action with how they treat customers and their own personal works of art.

Ahahaha, oh my goodness, take a look at this. Yeah, they are not a viable alternative.

We would be really happy if 3DCoat could be used to create beautiful works of art to inspire and bring joy, and not provoke hatred, aggression to people, wizardry, witchcraft, addiction or carnality. We are mostly Christian team, so this question is especially sharp for us because we know that God's law treats hatred as murder and infidelity in mind as real adultery, and consequences of our sins influence the whole life.

Its not enforced, they say that out of kindness. They been actually railed by that before, that was a while ago. You can do whatever you want with the software. A professional from Blizzard is the one that recommended it to me he also use Substance too.
Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:42:43 am

Yeah i saw that too with the ,,ehum,.. thou shalt not depict anything unpleasant...well that would rule out gamedevelopment for the most part then if all I'm allowed to texture and paint is a puppy or a flower...

Whats going on in the world? SP will be locked behind monthly subscriptions in the evil empire Adobe (most likely), 3DCoat only lets you paint flowers and cute, nice things.... whats next? Z-brush only letting me use it on Thursday mornings and under the condition I lean slightly off center and wear a funny hat while doing so.....

The world is getting crazy.... It's the apocalypse... Dogs and cats living together....

3D Coat has a serious problem that should send every artist screaming in the opposite direction. They've terminated and revoke licenses on the personal opinion of the owners that the artists work was obscene (like creating a nude sculpture,  a nude human form, excessive gore, or that felt it belittled or demeaned their religion) without refund.

I would like to see your evidence that they have revoked anyone's licence, period, because I don't think it happened.

This happened because of those smart individuals who were using student licenses (By sending fake random png, they never checked that credibility).

While those cheapskates could've bought the software like any other "loser", maybe Allegorithmic wouldn't need money 2 years ago to get Adobe on board, and maybe they wouldn't need extra resources (money) now.

I still can't seem to understand mentality of people saying, they're not directly making money of it, so they pirate it or fake student license it. While I live in a country with terrible economy, and someone from UK/USA tells me the licenses are too expensive for them (for reference, minimal wage in Croatia is ~2-3EUR/hour), I feel like a total "loser" for paying this.

I said loser, because people who pirated the software or used student license, are obviously smarter than the rest of us.

That being said, I've switched my 15month subscription into perpetual licenses. Not taking chances with Adobe, and I will push with this as much as I can. Unless there is a dope new feature that will make me change my mind, or until Adobe/Allegorithmic forces me to pay for monthly again.

I would like to see your evidence that they have revoked anyone's licence, period, because I don't think it happened.

Go search the Polycount, Blender, and CG forums. Several instances occurred over the years. One piece of art as ridiculous as a mere humanoid crocodile as being blamed the reason of the license suspension (not sure what exactly was the issue with it if it was perhaps too close to appearing as devilish/serpent looking, not really sure, others may remember better what the explanation for it was).

But its definitely happened. Whether it still occurs or will continue to occur, dont know, I dont use it because of those issues and stay away from it. And whether they give more leeway to larger studios and basically do it to smaller indies or hobbyist only, again is uncertain but seems to be the case.

We DO NOT want CC! Customer comes first!  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Je suis extrêmement déçu de cette décision par ce qu'elle implique. A tous les niveaux.

Après nous avoir regroupés sein dune base d'amis passionnées.. friends par ci et par là, innovation, partage, dynamisme, vous avez commencé à "rationaliser" le modèle en plusieurs étape successives.
Pour en arriver à vous/nous vendre à ...Adobe ?!?

Friends ??!??

Based on what they say about themselves and their 'vision' here - I wouldn't touch the software with a ten foot barge pole...

Based on what they say about themselves and their 'vision' here - I wouldn't touch the software with a ten foot barge pole...

Yeah wow. I had no idea about all that. Ive spent the last hour looking the instances of it up for factuality, and yeah... wow. Its true (apparently he changed the EULA back in 09, but still... ugh. At one point it apparently dictated what you could use it for and he was actively going after people over it) I was seriously considering maybe buying that... count me out too.

Let your fingers do the walking lol
https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2762-the-christian-moral-and-eula/
Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:42:21 am

If I didn't have a license already this nonesense would definitely keep me from buying one. Those guys can't be serious...

Will we be able to access the software outside the CC? I do NOT want to pay 59 dollars a month for a package that includes software I do not want to use!

What does this mean exacly? That I will not be able to choose just Allegorithmic products? It seems to me like I can only choose one or ALL of the products. That is really scummy!!! I just want the Allegorithmic products!!! I do not want to have to choose between Painter and Designer. WHY AM I NOT ABLE TO CUSTOMIZE WHAT PRODUCTS I WANT??? It is like going to the market and being able to buy bread but if you want other food you must get a package that includes food that you do not like. HOW DOES THIS COINCIDE WITH THE ALLEGORITHMIC CULTURE?? HOW IS THIS CONSUMER FRIENDLY??  Sorry for sounding a bit like a noob but up until now I did not need Photoshop for my texturing needs. Substance Painter and Designer were more than enough and there is free software for the light image editing I need.

How will this factor in the perpetual licence? My guess? They will announce that it will be supported only for a time like 6 months to an year, after which we are forced to subscribe to CC but that doesnt sound very perpetual to me! That or the next big update and thereafter will not support the perpetual licence, leaving us with a piece of software that will no longer be updated.

Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 11:40:28 am

Very sad news. But I wish the Team good luck for the future. Where ever it leads them.

I use the Suite ( and pay for it month for month) since 2015/05/05
I keep paying over the years, because I want to support the Allegorithmic team,but for sure I will not support with my money the Adobe corp.I am glad my PC is now entirely Adobe free. And will stay so.
I will turn soon my licence in a perpetual  licence .
So time to say goodbye to the whole team and thank you for the fun times your Software gives me over the years.

I was looking for a replacement over the internet, can somebody recommend me Quixel?
Thanks in advance for any help.

[...] Sorry for sounding a bit like a noob but up until now I did not need Photoshop for my texturing needs. [...]

You've come to the heart of the matter perfectly

[...] Sorry for sounding a bit like a noob but up until now I did not need Photoshop for my texturing needs. [...]

You've come to the heart of the matter perfectly

Yeah, that is what I think too. Adobe sees that 3D artists are not using their products anymore so they bought Allegorithmic so they can force us to pay 60 euros per month because we cannot customize what we want to buy. Am I getting this right?

Still, lots of pros tell me that Photoshop is still essential. Because of that I will eventually have to learn it but right now I do not see why I need it, especially when there are free alternatives for the light stuff I need image editing tools for. Maybe someone can explain?