Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 79378 times)

Ironically enough, I made this in Photoshop, and in those few minutes I still experienced the same bugs that have been in it for over 10 years......

Something's just clicked now that Alleg devs are saying that Adobe have been pulling strings the last 2 years. When Painter 2018 got a UI facelift I instinctively didn't like it. I felt it was moving away from the artist-friendly and towards the sterile corporate look. I much preferred the older UI. What clicked was the flyout menus. The very same design that's been in Photoshop for years.

And then there's the decision to get rid of all the colour in the icons, which makes the UI harder to read and much less visually pleasing. The bake dialogue suffers greatly from this.

I'm a student who was planning in purchasing this software as soon as I graduate ... Now I'm not so sure about it. I haven't used Adobe since CS6 for the reasons mentioned here. Basically, I trust Allegorithmic as a company and their genuine customer centric approach way more than Adobe...

I wanted to buy Maya out the gate. When Autodesk went to subscription only (with that laughable pricetag to boot) I bought Modo instead. Straight up bought the perpetual, not the indie.

Yaknow, people may diss the Foundry but they did ok by my book when they "changed Modo to subscription."
  - Got a perpetual?  It's all yours forever.
  - Want a perpetual?  Sure, we got those, too.
  - Want maintenance to keep your perpetual updated?  Sure thing, and you keep the latest copy of the software forever, even if maintenance expires!  Hey, if you get maintenance when you first purchase Modo, we'll even knock $200 off every year, as long as you maintain it.  Let's reward the loyalty.
  - Just want the software for a couple of months?  Here's the subscription options.  You can't keep the software after it runs out, but this'll get you through your current project.

It's like... something for everyone.  And so much better than -any- plain subscription model.  I can't understand why more companies (Autodesk, Adobe, etc.) don't offer both and everything in between.

I wanted to buy Maya out the gate. When Autodesk went to subscription only (with that laughable pricetag to boot) I bought Modo instead. Straight up bought the perpetual, not the indie.

Yaknow, people may diss the Foundry but they did ok by my book when they "changed Modo to subscription."
  - Got a perpetual?  It's all yours forever.
  - Want a perpetual?  Sure, we got those, too.
  - Want maintenance to keep your perpetual updated?  Sure thing, and you keep the latest copy of the software forever, even if maintenance expires!  Hey, if you get maintenance when you first purchase Modo, we'll even knock $200 off every year, as long as you maintain it.  Let's reward the loyalty.
  - Just want the software for a couple of months?  Here's the subscription options.  You can't keep the software after it runs out, but this'll get you through your current project.

It's like... something for everyone.  And so much better than -any- plain subscription model.  I can't understand why more companies (Autodesk, Adobe, etc.) don't offer both and everything in between.

Oh I love Modo... Im glad maya fell thru, coz I fell right into modo. And I love how their pricing model is laid out too. I feel like foundry nailed that perfectly.

And I agree... I think it would be more fiscally intelligent for these companies to have both/multiple options. I think thats what gets most ppl bent... coz its like theyre saying "no one cares about the little guy"
Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:06:59 am

I’m never on the forums, but I learned that Adobe bought you guys out, which if anyone knows Adobe, in reality they’re STRICTLY for profit, once the companies they buy fail to reach a higher profit, they destroy it. But now I’m just learning that Allego just agreed to be sold without coming up with a proper plan to keep the pricing fair for everyone... Ohhh boy. Look, I love substance, but if Adobe thinks that I’m going to shell out more money for a subscription, they’re dead wrong! I’ll spend the $379 on 3D Coat or whatever else is out there to get my work done. I’ll even go back to quixel if I need to. Regardless If you guys are happy with this decision, great! I just hope you know what you’re doing. I understand that this is a lucrative opportunity, but I agree with everyone else here.

With that said, if Adobe ever decides to bury you, just know it’s been a fun ride, and I wish you all the best of luck on your next careers.

LOL you guys just fucked up so bad.

I cant even morally give my money to Adobe after what they did with business catalyst and muse, I can never bring myself to trust them ever again.  I literally just signed up for Quixel Mixer and it looks like a promising alternative for textures.
Something new will come along, there is no way it wont... the procedural PBR workflow has become way to important to all of us. I will never work with Adobe so thanks for nothing Allegorithmic.

I have really only dabbled in Substance since the first Steam release because I've been trying to learn just about every aspect of game development coming from a heavy modding background.

This is really the last thing I ever wanted to see after having looked around at various programs and their licences. Including my own experiences with Adobe software and from others around me. I can't afford the subscriptions all the big companies are pushing. This makes me extremely hesitant to ever upgrade now when I do get back into it. Especially if the licences are getting changed from their current model in the future. I skimmed through a chunk of the thread but only ever saw assurances it would be "fair" which means almost nothing right now to be perfectly honest.

I'd feel sorry for all the devs and artists soon to be out of a job but they're such talented people they'll have no problems in their new endeavors. To all the developers and artists of this software you guys really made something amazing.

Adobe wasted two days making sure their cancel your subscription button caused "something to go wrong", then try to gouge me with an early exit fee, how anyone can think this kind of scam company that spits in the faces of artists daily is family is beyond me. It took this company years just to implement a basic brush smoothing function in Photoshop Lol.

uwa

I truly hope Adobe's management takes a good hard look at the comments people are saying here.

Adobe's management are pretty savvy at business and marketing. They don't care what people are saying if the damage can be mitigated. The formula is old and almost always works: reassure all the upset customers that Allegorithmic isn't going anywhere, nothing is changing, everything is fine. The old structure, the old management are all still staying exactly the same, your fears are unfounded.

Then, wait long enough for everyone to forget. Then make whatever changes you like, and sit back while a few people flail their arms and shout "I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN" but nobody's really listening any more.

We will make sure everybody gets a fair transition/exit if needed, yes. Anybody saying otherwise is pulling conjectures out of their rear end :)

Your word as a representative of a company I've come to trust means a lot. But with all due respect, there's a company that I don't trust at all in charge now, and there's no longer any guarantee that in six months, a year, two years, you're going to be the one making that decision.

The only thing I know for sure is Adobe has a pretty long reputation of pouring their entire budget into marketing instead of improving their software.. Generally just making decisions that serve their profit margins instead of their customers. And now they're involved in software I didn't ask for their involvement in, promising once again that this time it's different. This time they care about art, this time they really do care about preserving the creative vision of the company they just bought.

Congrats on your buyout. Like.. personally, I'm truly happy for your team and the opportunities to advance your individual careers. I don't need a hecking crystal ball to tell you that Adobe's business practices have always sucked, though, and I don't think it's too much for me to suppose that maybe they'll continue to suck in the future.
Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 07:26:41 am

We will make sure everybody gets a fair transition/exit if needed, yes.

So, come to CC subs model or bye bye. I really want to be wrong with this....

There is a reason why we moved to Substance from Adobe "family" products. Their whole setup is convoluted. Even their cloud portal is annoying the way it forces focus at start up, can't be disabled easily without logging into your account of through msconfig. The fact you constantly have to put effort in making it behave.
Although their products still have merit, for instance if you concept draw or photography, film, etc . They been downright lazy when it comes to updating their products to the needs of realtime or game industry. Bar some poor attempts. Not to mention their license and price model is not user friendly nor is it modern.

I have uninstalled all my adobe products years ago for good reasons. Didn't need them, annoying and often outdated, unfriendly price and subscription models. I don't see at all why this will be good for the substance products.

Its further concerning that their are no good alternatives for substance products. And I have no faith at all in this Adobe merge being any good for the Substance users.

I guess you know more about our deal than we do then  ::)

USA had a nuclear deal with Iran. Or should I say Iran had a deal with USA. And where is this deal now?
Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:33:03 am

This is sad news.
I do not share the general animosity towards adobe or even its subscription model, and I do not claim to be able to see the future of Substance. But I do have a problem with large shareholder owned tech companies buying more and more smaller, potentially competing companies. I think if our politicians were doing their job, acquisitions like this should be prevented by anti-trust laws. Mergers and acquisitions by ever larger monopolies are not ""exciting news" for customers - competition is.

Sadly its the main way todays.
The only alternative is open source.
It's why from time to time i make donation to the blender foundation even if i'm a C4D user.

Thats really nice of you, that you donate to Blender!  8)
But to be honest Maxon is a greedy company as well 3600 dollar for a c4D studio? hahah and you have to pay + for X-particles  :D
My software pack that I use and I PAYED FOR:
- Zbrush (the full pack is actually superior!)
- Houdini Indi (they give you everything: maya lvl rigging, even muscle sim that is missing from maya lt, particle, volume simulations, BEST retopo tool, procedural modeling and since 17.0 polyDraw - kind an ortodox polymodeling way, built in render engine)
- Substance (???all we can do is hoping untill they finaly anonce what can we expect)
- Blender (of course)
- Davinci Resolve (it knows everything! And even the free version has Fusion!)

Now, what I would need from CC? With the above software pack... Dimension? Aero? (pardon me but... ;D)

Lets be honest, there is one cool bundel that Adobe sells: the photo bundle: lightroom + PS + Fuse + Adobe portfolio for 6 euro / month - no doubt, thats a good one!

Try Affinity Photo and Designer for free (and then buy it fot 50$/lifetime each).
Compare layer resizing, zooming, blur filter or Inpainting brush tool vs. Content aware clone tool.
Affinity team has the spirit and soul like Allegorithmic had until now.

I also use and donate Blender without the fear Adobe puts his hands on it ever.
As someone mentioned here, take a look at this:
https://blenderartists.org/t/bats-material-editing-with-layers/1141382

I don't see how Adobe (or Autodesk) are innovating since moving to subscription models - the opposite seems to be the case.

!Before they had to innovate to make people buy new versions.!

Now people are forced into subscription. If you stop subscription you can't even continue to use an old version.

I don't see how this is a good development for customers.

THIS. Adobe doesn't do perpetual licensing. No innovations necessary from now on, people are on forced subscription anyway to be able to even start up the program!

All a subscription model does is to ensure a steady, calculable cash flow for the company. Its good for the shareholders, not for the customers.
Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:15:46 am