Author Topic: AO bake has harsh seams  (Read 1156 times)

Baking AO has harsh seams, UV's are mirrored but everything is 100% symmetrical. so why is there issues?

Can you describe what your baking settings are ?
Is the seam across Texture Sets or inside the same Texture Set ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I think it's a problem with the sub sampling. Or it could be because I'm using low poly mesh as high poly for the bake. which I can test and let you know.

This is for a 512 texture. AO bake is set to bake 512x512 with Subsampling 8x8

Note:
I've now edited the UV's to hide seams in between the fingers as a work around solution.

This is again for a 512x512 texture.

But the AO Bake is set to 8192x8192 & Antialiasing: Subsampling is None.
It is still partially visible but not nearly as bad.

Okay, I don't see anything wrong in your setup right know.
Do you think you could a part of your mesh so that I can try to reproduce the issue ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

How'd you go? Need me to upload mesh again?

I didn't have the time to look into the file yet.
Can you reupload dit ? You can send me a PM if you don't want it to be public.
-----------

I PM'd you.

I played a bit with your mesh, you can simply avoid the seam by simply increasing the dilation width from 1 to 16 in the common baker parameters. :)

Of course this won't get rid of the seam at 100% (but you won't see the white edge artifact anymore). The best would be to bake at the resolution at which you plan to export your texturing. You can increase the AO Secondary Rays parameters instead of using high anti-aliasing values (which will slow down the computation without much benefits).
Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 05:02:13 pm
-----------

Thanks, I do remember trying the dilation width but with anti-aliasing on, the anti aliasing seems to be the cause of the seams.