Author Topic: How to create leaks  (Read 398 times)

I'm trying to create stylized leaking rust, and running into some problems.
The only effective method I've found for creating leaks is to use Slope Blur with a gradient. But Slope Blur does not tile, and seems to also produce artifacts at the image border under certain circumstances I have yet to narrow down.
Directional and Anisotropic Blur do tile, but go in both directions instead of just down.
Does anyone know of a good way to go about this?
I would have thought it easy to find examples of this, but everyone seems to either just use existing nodes for rust and such, or fake the effect with the existing grunge noise.

You can see at the bottom how it's not tiling, and those leaks at the top appear to be duplicated from near the middle of the image for some reason.
Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:31:45 pm

I'm not great with leaks, but if you want a tiling alternative to slope blur, you can use Non-uniform blur with both asymmetry and anisotropy pulled up to the max:
"Better than some, no worse than others."

I tested it out, but Non-uniform Blur doesn't really work either. You can tell it to blur in only one direction, but it still blurs both the top and bottom, basically causing it to shift out of position similar to Warp.
-Edit- Actually, this might work. I've been able to use masking to prevent it from distorting the top edge too much. It seems that if you make the blur map basically just be an inverted form of the main input, it forces it to maintain the silhouette, and just drags out the interior.
Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:54:24 pm

Have you tried Shadows? It has some problems of its own — few max samples, little variation, hard to control — but you might get close to the effect you want.

"Better than some, no worse than others."

Have you tried Shadows? It has some problems of its own — few max samples, little variation, hard to control — but you might get close to the effect you want.
Thank you, that was what I needed.