Author Topic: Help on understanding alphas (newbie)  (Read 610 times)

I am just starting out with Substance Painter and having a hard time understanding how to properly set up materials that need alpha channels turned on.     In the attached image, you can see that we have a character model that has a opaque hair/beard, with hair cards being used for hair detail.   I have experimented with a variety of settings using the PBR with alpha blending shader in Painter.    I've added an opacity channel, assigned the TGA texture to that channel, assigned it again to the color/diffuse, etc, however I'm still getting the same visible result (white showing up where the it should be transparent).    I know there is probably something simple/fundamental that I am not doing in the set up process, thus the reason for coming here to the forum.     Any assistance/guidance on getting this to look right is greatly appreciated.

Note: The alpha texture was created in Photoshop and saved as a 32 bit Targa (I also have tried with a PNG with transparency, which yielded the same result)

Thanks in advance,

Jon

another screenshot

You need to add an opacity channel to your texture set in the Texture Set Settings window, then use a black and white alpha mask of your hair in that opacity channel.
Also, you should import it as a texture, not an alpha, which is meant for brush alphas.

Hi Jeremie.   

Thanks for your response.  I have the b/w texture loaded as a texture file (TGA) and I've plugged that into the opacity channel.   I also have the diffuse texture loaded into the color channel (PNG).    I can see the transparency, but I am still not getting great results (see white areas in screenshot).  There is a lot of the mask visible as white showing in the viewport.  Is there a preferred file format other than TGA for saving the opacity mask?   And is there a preferred set up for the shader (the opacity channel is set to L16)?    I apologize for being so naive on this, but I am still learning how substance painter works.