Author Topic: B2M in Unity How to?  (Read 1953 times)

I've recently began using Substance.  Wanting to integrate what I've created in B2M inside Unity.  I see posts and YouTube videos showing how to use the sbsar file found under the Help->Data...but nothing In enough detail to know how to get it working.  I also see how sbsar files are no longer supported in Unity nativly...waiting on a working version I guess....

So is there a way inside B2M3 to export the bitmaps in a way like in designer so that the two or three bitmaps are already mapped with the correct channels...green red blue roughness spec etc..etc..

Great I can export all these maps...but then have to go into photoshop and setup files is a real pain.  What am I missing...please help in this kind of workflow.  Thanks!

I've recently began using Substance.  Wanting to integrate what I've created in B2M inside Unity.  I see posts and YouTube videos showing how to use the sbsar file found under the Help->Data...but nothing In enough detail to know how to get it working.  I also see how sbsar files are no longer supported in Unity nativly...waiting on a working version I guess....

So is there a way inside B2M3 to export the bitmaps in a way like in designer so that the two or three bitmaps are already mapped with the correct channels...green red blue roughness spec etc..etc..

Great I can export all these maps...but then have to go into photoshop and setup files is a real pain.  What am I missing...please help in this kind of workflow.  Thanks!

Hi,

Unity has removed the native integration we had starting in Unity 2018. We have created a plugin which is available on the Unity Asset Store. The plugin is in beta currently. https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/substance-in-unity-110555

The plugin will allow you to import sbsar files and it will then create a Unity material with the substance textures applied. With B2M, you can import it as an sbsar into Unity using the plugin. You can also run B2M standalone which is Substance Player with the B2M sbsar file embedded. This is the best solution as you can simply export the maps. Here we have the docs on B2M. https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/b2m3/bitmap2material-3-user-s-guide-67797025.html

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Wes thanks...but that's not super helpful.  I  understand the plugin that is being worked on is for SBSAR files.  Correct?  I mentioned that in my original text...you've said the same.

B2M does not save nor export SBSAR files, correct?  I have seen the odd post about using the Help->Data folder that stores some sort of SBSAR file, but I DO NOT SEE HOW TO USE THIS. 

Is the workflow to use the SBSAR file in Unity to CREATE the material?  I was using B2M software to setup and create the material and looking for the SBSAR file I can then import into Unity.  Is this wrong?

Wes thanks...but that's not super helpful.  I  understand the plugin that is being worked on is for SBSAR files.  Correct?  I mentioned that in my original text...you've said the same.

B2M does not save nor export SBSAR files, correct?  I have seen the odd post about using the Help->Data folder that stores some sort of SBSAR file, but I DO NOT SEE HOW TO USE THIS. 

Is the workflow to use the SBSAR file in Unity to CREATE the material?  I was using B2M software to setup and create the material and looking for the SBSAR file I can then import into Unity.  Is this wrong?

Hi,

Sorry about the confusion. I was thinking it wouldn't be very clear. I was on my phone trying to reply and didn't have access to B2M. B2M is a standalone application. You can drag in a bitmap and a full material will be created from that single source bitmap. You can then export textures directly from B2M app. You can see this in the screen shot. B2M is actually an sbsar file. The standalone app is just the sbsar file embedded in our Substance Player. The sbsar file you mentioned could be loaded into Unity using the substance plugin. However, it's a bit clunky to work with B2M that way. I would suggest using the standalone app to create the textures and then export them, import into Unity and then assign the maps to the material channels.

Here we have a video tutorial on how B2M works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKQTMHVOMKk

Cheers,
Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Thanks for the clarification that helps some.  One more thing though...when you say "stand alone" app, isn't that what I'm trying to use, B2M3 and then have that SBSAR file used inside Unity?

Or are you suggesting that the workflow of using B2M3 with the embeded SBSAR file is clunky (I would agree) and should use Substance Designer instead?

The whole point of B2M3 is it's quick and easy for non super detailed things.  So I was hoping there was some synergy there to be able to use the plugin in Unity without having to work with all the MAPS B2M exports...

Let me know if any of that makes sense or if I'm still missing it completly!  It's Friday :)

zzh

same problem.

How to use B2M in Unity?

How to set image input to generate outputs IN Unity RunTime

Hi,

If you would like to use B2M directly in Unity, you need to install the Substance in Unity plugin from the Asset Store. Then, you can import the "Bitmap2Material_3-1.sbsar" which can be found here. C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Bitmap2Material\3\data

Once you have imported the sbsar, you will need to apply the Main Input. In the attached image, I used a rock texture as the main input. B2M will then generate all maps and you can drag the material from the sbsar to the mesh. You can adjust the parameters in the Unity Inspector to control how the textures are generated.

You need to make sure the input image you use has been set to read/write in Unity as detailed here. https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/integrations/Using+Image+Inputs

The other option is to use the desktop app version. This allows you to drag an image into the 2D view, choose main input tweak, and then adjust parameters to fine tune the results. You can then export the bitmaps.

Cheers,
Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com