Author Topic: [Baking] Highpoly scene won't load?  (Read 19804 times)

Hi, i have a problem.

I modeled an axe in maya that i sculpted in Zbrush. I export a lowpoly mesh in Zbrush and an highpoly one. When i load my lowpoly mesh in Substance Painter, there is no problem but when i start baking an error appear:
[Baking] Highpoly scene was required when baking Normal Map from Mesh but could not be loaded.

That's make the same for the ambient occlusion and the thickness.

Are the model to high? I think that's not the issue because i've got the same problem few days ago with similar size of fbx. I re-start the bake few times and it worked.

But this time it don't work even if i restart the baking few times, or that i re-export the fbx file.

Please help me, thx

Alex.

Can you upload the high and low files? FBX please.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Thx, finally it worked (idk how?) but i have the same problem with the same model that i just changed a little bit

here's a wetransfer link: https://we.tl/t-cjBbybOhbZ

I'm new in Substance Painter and in the 3D in general so i surely made a lot of mistakes (exporting highpoly with too much polygons...) that may why it won't work.
Thx, i waiting for your reply.

Alex

Thx, finally it worked (idk how?) but i have the same problem with the same model that i just changed a little bit

here's a wetransfer link: https://we.tl/t-cjBbybOhbZ

I'm new in Substance Painter and in the 3D in general so i surely made a lot of mistakes (exporting highpoly with too much polygons...) that may why it won't work.
Thx, i waiting for your reply.

Alex

I couldn't get your low poly version to even load properly.

I was able to load in your high poly version into Blender, and your major issue is that you're using way too many polygons.

This object:

Has a whopping 10,698,752 faces!!! (21 million tris) That's way too heavy and all the detail you put into the model could be done with under 20,000 and even less! I've worked on very high end models for games, and sometimes I'll hit a few million for the highs on complex organic models with various parts, but never 10 million for weapon objects.

One rule of thumb is you never increase your poly count unless you've fully utilized the current count. This will come with time, and I would suggest you make it a goal when sculpting and modeling to do the best quality at the lowest count possible. Activity do what you can to never increase polygons unless you have to.

Thank's for your answer, i always divided my high poly mesh in Zbrush the more than i can to have the better quality when i'm sculpting my model. So that is the problem. Is it important for the final result or i can totally decrease the number of subdivision without any loss of quality or just a bit ? (I think the answer is no)

Thanks again for your answer, I will follow your advice and i'll try to work with the lowest count of polygons.
I'm grateful,
Alex.

Thank's for your answer, i always divided my high poly mesh in Zbrush the more than i can to have the better quality when i'm sculpting my model. So that is the problem. Is it important for the final result or i can totally decrease the number of subdivision without any loss of quality or just a bit ? (I think the answer is no)

Thanks again for your answer, I will follow your advice and i'll try to work with the lowest count of polygons.
I'm grateful,
Alex.

I would suggest reviewing some beginner lessons on sculpting in zBrush, and when to subdivide. There is no reason to use 10 million polygons for this kind of model.

You never start with high polygons, and you only divide when you need to. This will come with time. When you're working low and subdividing, you're also smoothing, and reapplying strokes and so forth. The early stages are all about defining shapes, not fine details. You don't need 10 million polygons to apply the detail I had seen on your high poly version.

Good luck.

Got it, thank you !

I'm grateful,
Alex.
Today I had the same mistake, and the case was not in the number of polygons, it happened because the type of format was FBX ASCII.
Substance cannot work with this.
Then i exported to FBX Type: Binary, And everything worked great!