Author Topic: Substance plugin and UE4 texture streaming  (Read 414 times)

One question:

I was searching the forums here for texture streaming in UE4 and have found some threads with answers saying texture streaming is not supported yet, but the threads were old. Does it still holds true? I checked one of the texture generated by the substance factory here and it has the "Never stream" checkbox marked and the option is greyed out - you can't change it.
An answer will be much appreciated.

Bump.

I join the question.
Or maybe there is some way to convert SubstanceTexture2D to Texture2D without tricky baking materials?
Cheers
Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:35:34 pm

Hi,

We are working on texture streaming now. I don't have any new information I can give, but the team is on it : )

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks for the reply! Please, keep us informed on this. I'm making a demo and would be really good to use substance in UE4 to tweak some assets, refine them in the final context. Things like patterns chiseled on metals (that I can also change the image input for variations), terrain grounds etc.

Best,

Thanks for the reply! Please, keep us informed on this. I'm making a demo and would be really good to use substance in UE4 to tweak some assets, refine them in the final context. Things like patterns chiseled on metals (that I can also change the image input for variations), terrain grounds etc.

Best,

Hi,

I don't have any new information at this time in terms of an ETA. However, here is some information on what we are doing.

We want to cater to how users are using the Substance textures in UE4. To support texture streaming we are changing how we will work with Substance textures. To accomplish this, we are moving to fully support UTexture2D (unreal native textures) and replace our current implementation of using a custom written substance texture output. This will have the following benefits:

• Increase quality as well as performance at run-time.
  • Textures generated from Substance Graphs will be compatible with all platforms that UE4 supports such as HTML, iOS and Android. (Cooked/Non-run-time generated textures)
  • Run-time texture generation will still be supported for all platforms we have support for now.
  • Ability to use any Unreal Texture 2D for Substance Graph input images instead of only being able to use a Substance Input Image object.

Another cool feature we are looking at is a preference to specify how you want your naming convention to be for all Substance generated classes. So, as I mentioned above, I don't have an ETA on when this version will be released, but I wanted to provide an update on what we are doing and where we are headed.

Cheers,
Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja