Author Topic: Texture Distortion using Tangent Brush  (Read 1634 times)

Hey guys, I have an issue that I don't know if you guys have run into it, but it has to do with the brush set in tangent mode. In Painter, the detail imprint is
correct on the model when I apply it in the viewport, but in Unity, the damn thing is distorted. Will this be a problem in SP 1.0? With this issue, it forces the user to
have super clean UVs with NO distortion... and it is a pain to work with... the screenshots explain what I am dealing with :(

It has me a bit disappointed. To get around this, check out how ZBrush handles projection...
Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 06:50:15 am

Here is an update on the texture distortion I am dealing with... the text box looks cleaner, but there is some distortion remaining and it proves that in order
to have no nasty surprises, you need to ENSURE that your UVs are PERFECT. Even with tangent mode, the result texture is very distorted...

Was your model triangulated, or were there still quads or ngons in your mesh, particularly in the "text box" area ? It is quite likely that Unity and Painter do not triangulate quads the same way. It is probably safer to make sure your mesh is triangulated when exporting it from your 3D app if you want to get the same results in all applications you will use it in afterwards.

PS : would it be possible to post screenshots with a little more contrast next time please ? I had a really hard time seeing anything in those above.
Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:21:22 pm

Was your model triangulated, or were there still quads or ngons in your mesh, particularly in the "text box" area ? It is quite likely that Unity and Painter do not triangulate quads the same way. It is probably safer to make sure your mesh is triangulated when exporting it from your 3D app if you want to get the same results in all applications you will use it in afterwards.

PS : would it be possible to post screenshots with a little more contrast next time please ? I had a really hard time seeing anything in those above.

When I exported this model, it was still quads in the model. I had to relax the UVs big time to get it as clean as possible and even with a clean relax, there is still
distortion. I will just have to be careful when creating UVs for models.... here is a screenshot from modo with UVs that have virtually no distortion whatsoever

And yes, I will post brighter screenshots. The shot was taken directly from Unity
Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:42:20 pm