Author Topic: Substance Designer Memory?  (Read 1677 times)

Could someone explain to me what actually memory sign in right bottom corner of SD means? I opened one of Substance Source materials at 4k

And it seams like it's struggling with memory allocation but my system and gpu memories are fine. Below 50% usage.
Also SD becomes quite sluggish. Not sure if the problem is 4k display and 1060 gtx.

It means SD has used all the cache space it is currently allowed to use.

To explain what is the cache: the result of each node is basically a bitmap, to allow the user to quickly visualize the intermediate result of each node (and also speed up the computation in some cases), the image corresponding to nodes are saved to system memory (the ram). So it can fill the ram pretty quickly when you are working with lots of nodes at a high resolution.
When the ram (or at least the ram budget) is full, SD will use the hard drive to store the cache, and this is when you'll notice a performance drop because the bandwidth of the hard drive is way slower than the ram.

You can adjust the amount of ram SD can use in the Preferences.
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

It means SD has used all the cache space it is currently allowed to use.

To explain what is the cache: the result of each node is basically a bitmap, to allow the user to quickly visualize the intermediate result of each node (and also speed up the computation in some cases), the image corresponding to nodes are saved to system memory (the ram). So it can fill the ram pretty quickly when you are working with lots of nodes at a high resolution.
When the ram (or at least the ram budget) is full, SD will use the hard drive to store the cache, and this is when you'll notice a performance drop because the bandwidth of the hard drive is way slower than the ram.

You can adjust the amount of ram SD can use in the Preferences.
Thank you for clearification, ill test out if setting to constant value makes difference.