Author Topic: Substance Designer and Blender  (Read 2241 times)

I was wondering is there any efficient way to make substance tweak-able inside blender? I know that I can do that in 3ds max but it would be of much greater use in blender 2.8 since it has eevee. I am not sure what are the constrains of license eg is everything you put in it has to be open source?

P.S. why did i have to do captcha for posting? I am subscribed user.

I doubt it, once it's in blender, it's just an image mapped PBR, so barring tweaking the resulting image with nodes in the node editor, there's nothing really you could do. Totally different beasts.

There is an addon which allows you to update blender from Substance Painter, but not from Designer, even so, all that does is effectively refreshes the images without you having to reload them manually.

I doubt it, once it's in blender, it's just an image mapped PBR, so barring tweaking the resulting image with nodes in the node editor, there's nothing really you could do. Totally different beasts.

There is an addon which allows you to update blender from Substance Painter, but not from Designer, even so, all that does is effectively refreshes the images without you having to reload them manually.

I know that. But. Why can't *.sbsar be loaded in blender? If it also can in unreal engine? Is api code the problem or something else?

I know that. But. Why can't *.sbsar be loaded in blender? If it also can in unreal engine? Is api code the problem or something else?

I might be wrong, but I think it has to do with licensing, and on top of that being supported to begin with.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Indeed, with Blender materials only being PBR, there probably isn't the underlying code there.
That said, it may be something they look at in the future, though I'd imagine it being via some sort of add-on as the SBSAR controls wouldn't sit as a node structure.