Author Topic: How do you/ should I go about workflow?  (Read 3451 times)

This attachment shows the UV layout I have for the internal walls of a building. Now historically theres a few ways I could do this:

1. separate different sections and have a 1024 tiling wallpaper texture for just those bits, the same (creating a new material) with a tiling wood texture for those bits, and so on. (Downside, multiple objects, multiple materials)

2. Have the above two textures and two more on a single 2048 with each quarter assigned a different texture, and squeeze in each uv island into its appropriate area (this would result in a single material in the end, single object)

3. Using designer, and I want to use things like edge detection and AO, where I would have the shown UV layout, but the downside is my textures would per surface, be lower resolution..right? (single material, single object)

So this is the thing I don't quite follow. It seems to me the SD workflow needs unique UV's (as pictured) rather than the more traditional efficient approaches used in 1&2 above. Is that right? Do I understand this correctly? Unique UV's required to use the cool SD features (and living with the lower resolution outcomes?). I do hope to sell assets, and the Indie license prohibits me from onselling substances, I can only sell bitmaps.

It would be good to hear from experienced users how they would go about working with such an "internal wall" type setup as shown. Thanks heaps!

~AaronC

Hi Aaron,

SD can work like you mentioned in steps 1 and 2. Substance is creating textures, so any workflows you have used before will work in SD.

In the attached first image, I have an example of a tiling sheet. The yellow box outline are the areas of the texture that will tile. I have indicated the areas of the texture that will tile either 4 ways or horizontal only. I can then match my UVs to these areas. In the second image, you can see that the UVs I want to tile horizontally will extend beyond the 0-1 space.

What's great about substance is that in my atlas, each texture section can be made to change, like add moss, dirt or change base color. With substance, you can create a dynamic texture atlas.

Cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks Wes, that does firm up my understanding so far. But for fancy cool features like edgewear we'd still have to use the unique UV's approach right? In Unity, its possible to access the 2nd UV set of models, for things like ambient occlusion or decals (Using Lightmap shaders as one example). Typically the 2nd UV set has non-overlapping UV's. Is there any straightforward way in SD to access the 2nd UV set and create edgewear or AO for these, and thus exporting such substances or bitmaps for Unity, where we can have a setup like your pictures on UV1, and yet also have edgewear & AO type features for the 2nd UV set? I can think of convoluted ways to achieve this, but I'd be interested as to how you would take your texture example further, and include edgewear/edgedirt/Ambient Occlusion etc. Thanks a bunch it helps my understanding greatly.

~Aaron

Thanks Wes, that does firm up my understanding so far. But for fancy cool features like edgewear we'd still have to use the unique UV's approach right? In Unity, its possible to access the 2nd UV set of models, for things like ambient occlusion or decals (Using Lightmap shaders as one example). Typically the 2nd UV set has non-overlapping UV's. Is there any straightforward way in SD to access the 2nd UV set and create edgewear or AO for these, and thus exporting such substances or bitmaps for Unity, where we can have a setup like your pictures on UV1, and yet also have edgewear & AO type features for the 2nd UV set? I can think of convoluted ways to achieve this, but I'd be interested as to how you would take your texture example further, and include edgewear/edgedirt/Ambient Occlusion etc. Thanks a bunch it helps my understanding greatly.

~Aaron

HI Aaron,
It's not currently possible to apply a graph to a specific UV set. I have asked the developers to see if this will be possible in the future. When you bake, you can bake to specific UV sets, but with texturing, you can't then apply the graph to a different UV set.

I will check into this further as it would be good if in the 3D view, you could set the UV set the graph will be applied to similar to the baker options. This way, you could have 1 graph (textures) that would be for tiling and another graph for (1:1) textures like edge wear. You could do this know and just load in a copy of the FBX with the UVs swapped. The texturing in SD will be the same. The main workflow issue is that we can't simply switch UV sets in the 3D view.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks Wes that pretty much answers the elusive questions I had.

Cheers!

If you use the inbuilt Curvature, AO nodes etc you should be able to achieve the cool effects you want on tiled pieces.  Attached is a scene I created a while back with a single 2048 substance viewed here in Unity.  It is using old shaders (no PBR) and some lights I threw in, no GI.  The design is a bit repetitive in this example but it was a first experiment at using a single substance to texture tiled pieces and objects like stairs, handrails etc.  It doesn't need to be repetitive and would benefit from proper lighting.  Creative UV'ing is more key than having extra features in SD for this workflow in my view.