Author Topic: iRay (Anti) Aliasing and CPU/GPU question  (Read 419 times)

hello out there,

I was looking for a way to have some AA (Anti-Aliasing) in iRay Renderer - but the only option there is, does not make any difference, even if I set it to maxium Accumulations (128, I think it was)

I noticed strong "jagged edges" along the rims of a car (from the X-TAON Contest, to be specific), when rendering @4k res.

In the painter settings, I checked both, CPU and GPU for rendering - it seems, Painter does not utilize both, when both are checked - it only uses CPU in this case. Is this a bug or a feature? AFAIR, Cycles from blender and a few other renderers can use both - but painter can´t?

Cheers!

By definition, Iray doesn't need anti-aliasing since it's a Path Tracer.
The aliasing you see is likely related to the downscale of the 4K image to fit into the viewport of Substance Painter. If you look at the exported image it should be fine.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

hmmm, this is a bit strange.... my monitor runs 2560x1440 WQHD and I rendered in 4k res (3840x2160)
when rendering @1920x1080, alisasing still there (viewport)

the exported 4k image, watched on a 2k monitor is showing alisasing, but much less prominent, compared to the viewport.

so I think it is a downscaling issue, like you suggested. maybe I just did not noticed this in the past, because I normally not do 4k renders.