Author Topic: XTAON : Art Contest : Ndebele Inspired WIP  (Read 950 times)

HI everyone, I have never posted on the forum but thought I would chuck in my current progress. I have completed all the painting parts of the project finally and now just working on the materiality side of things.

My inspiration came when I saw the Esther Mahlangu BMW. I am South African myself, and I remember fondly the Ndebele artworks, so I just had to try and do my own one. Researching the art style I found out that their paintings were secret codes that told the rest of the tribe about the house/household that the art is painted on. Pretty cool stuff. So I designed a "story" about my journey since leaving South Africa to where I am now. After a long struggle finally finishing my Masters in Design Innovation and happily married. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I started the prioject on the 11th, so a full week to complete it. I made the images by taking a screenshot of the UV section I wanted to "paint", then cutting it up in Photshop and creating the design. I then "painted" the image back onto the UV in Substance Painter.

(You can see the progress images here: https://www.artstation.com/mrazureangel/albums/1185368)

My images wont upload right now stating it "must be an image"... which it is as its a png straight from the render, so I will have to see whats up with that.

ClifiProductions
Making content with passion

Latest WIP render

ClifiProductions

hahaa.... i am doing the exact same thing.... but with indian Truck art style.... Cheers Neighbour!! lets show our traditional art to the world :D

SGH

yes, I like these cultural themes. they give us a break from the usual mechanical and futurism themed subjects.

your png might be too large to in 32bit. Save as JPG from Iray or convert to 16bit in your compositing program then save as . You will loser color depth though.

This is a very cool design. And to think that it also has a story to it. Awesome!
Jason Adicendana Tjahyadi - 3D Artist | Student
https://www.artstation.com/jmusictouch

your png might be too large to in 32bit. Save as JPG from Iray or convert to 16bit in your compositing program then save as . You will loser color depth though.

Hi SGH, no idea why it didnt work in the first post. I think it was because I tried to post a bunch at once via the drag and drop method into the post. The next one worked when I just posted 1 into a new post.
ClifiProductions

hahaa.... i am doing the exact same thing.... but with indian Truck art style.... Cheers Neighbour!! lets show our traditional art to the world :D

It is a great feeling to be able to showcase some traditional art, especially if you get to learn something about it during the ride. Do you have a link to your work? I would love to see it.
ClifiProductions

This is a very cool design. And to think that it also has a story to it. Awesome!

Thank you, I am hoping to get the video done today after the materiality where I can at least show what the "code" story is. The number on the top of the roof (in the blue triangle) is my wedding day. Big deal because I was trapped in an abusive one before I was saved by my current partner. On the back there is a small map that shows where we got married as well. Lets just hope there is time!
ClifiProductions

Can't wait to see the video man, would love to tour the car and find out about your story xD Good luck!!
Jason Adicendana Tjahyadi - 3D Artist | Student
https://www.artstation.com/jmusictouch