Author Topic: Problem of baking position map  (Read 2552 times)

Hello~

If you have some problem with baking position map, this post might be able to help you.

Is there anyone who has position map that is almost uniform color? I 'was' one who did. Look at the first image below. I made a simple rock mesh for explanation. Position map generally looks like that(All Axis + BSphere).

But as an environment artist, I usually work like the 2nd image. With creating some clones, I used to organize same render mesh for portfolio or something. I never forget to move the UVs of clones not to bother baking mesh maps. Yesterday, I realized that this work style can create artifact on position map(the 3rd image).

Did I miss something? I strongly believe that baking with cloned mesh is pretty usual way.
Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 02:20:09 pm

A position map bakes the world space position of vertices in the scene. if you have multiple elements sharing the same UV in different parts of your scene, we can't bake the position properly.

A position map bakes the world space position of vertices in the scene. if you have multiple elements sharing the same UV in different parts of your scene, we can't bake the position properly.

Thanks for your teaching, Mr. Noguer.
Let me get this straight once more please.

Can sharing the same UV outside the texture area(like the 2nd image above) be a problem? I already knew that sharing UV 'inside' the texture area is not acceptable.

The issue you see here is that now your scene is much larger, since you have rocks that are far from each other. The position colors being based on the scene bounding box, the color gradients you see on your rock are much less contrasted since your rock only takes up a little bit of the entire scene lenght, width and height, that's the expected behavior.
Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 12:29:14 am

The issue you see here is that now your scene is much larger, since you have rocks that are far from each other. The position colors being based on the scene bounding box, the color gradients you see on your rock are much less contrasted since your rock only takes up a little bit of the entire scene lenght, width and height, that's the expected behavior.

I really thank you for your kind explanation. So the distance between the rocks was responsible!!!
Thank you very much:)