Author Topic: Unity 2018.3 Information  (Read 2175 times)

With the known issues, what does this actually mean? "Substance materials are not persistent when exported/imported using a Unity package".

If I create a Unity Package and include substance graphs with multiple instances, are those OK, or is it just the property values that are not persistent?

With the known issues, what does this actually mean? "Substance materials are not persistent when exported/imported using a Unity package".

If I create a Unity Package and include substance graphs with multiple instances, are those OK, or is it just the property values that are not persistent?

@stefan Sorry for the confusion. This should read "Substance material properties are not persistent when exported/imported using a Unity package". This means that the tiling/rendering modes etc. will be set back to default when imported while contained in a Unity package.
Integrations QA Analyst

The Alpha button and Mip Map preview slider are missing on the non-Substance texture GUI after importing the Substance plugin
Is there a known workaround for this problem with the rgb/r/g/b/alpha and mipmaps switches for texture preview? The texture memory size with the selected compression is also missing. When we can expect official fix?

At the moment it is the most annoying in the Unity plugin for us. Its really hard now to tell, if texture has alpha channel or not. We also use lot of textures with different information in every channel so we want to have that new unity feature to see each channel separately.

Another issue that we found, is that when we create parameter named smoothness in graph, and its used in output that is not metallic (for example normal ) then slider will not work in unity. Looks like it can only be used for metallic output, like it was hardcoded that way or something.

The Alpha button and Mip Map preview slider are missing on the non-Substance texture GUI after importing the Substance plugin
Is there a known workaround for this problem with the rgb/r/g/b/alpha and mipmaps switches for texture preview? The texture memory size with the selected compression is also missing. When we can expect official fix?

At the moment it is the most annoying in the Unity plugin for us. Its really hard now to tell, if texture has alpha channel or not. We also use lot of textures with different information in every channel so we want to have that new unity feature to see each channel separately.

Another issue that we found, is that when we create parameter named smoothness in graph, and its used in output that is not metallic (for example normal ) then slider will not work in unity. Looks like it can only be used for metallic output, like it was hardcoded that way or something.

Hi,

Thanks for reporting these issues. The missing content and controls from the 2D view is a known issue. We will get this resolved.

For the smoothness control, did you create a custom parameter in Designer called Smoothness and this doesn't work? I'm not sure I understand what you are describing.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

For the smoothness control, did you create a custom parameter in Designer called Smoothness and this doesn't work? I'm not sure I understand what you are describing.
Yes, exactly, that was how it behaved for plugin v2.0. For latest 2.2 it now throws errors and doesn't load at all in unity. Somehow for usage different than metallic it doesn't work. We used it for modifying one channel of texture that has usage normal and changing it in Unity did not affect this channel. After changing usage to metallic it started to work properly. We tested few other usage and for all off them substance thrown errors in editor.

The missing content and controls from the 2D view is a known issue. We will get this resolved.
Today we found workaround that works for us. We created own dll that overwrites preview editor and restore default editor. Just throw it into the project in Assets\Allegorithmic\Plugins\Substance\Substance Engine
We also attached source if someone needs it. Not sure if it works in all cases, we just restore default editor, and we don't know why even substance change it.
Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 10:35:54 am

Yes, exactly, that was how it behaved for plugin v2.0. For latest 2.2 it now throws errors and doesn't load at all in unity. Somehow for usage different than metallic it doesn't work. We used it for modifying one channel of texture that has usage normal and changing it in Unity did not affect this channel. After changing usage to metallic it started to work properly. We tested few other usage and for all off them substance thrown errors in editor.

The missing content and controls from the 2D view is a known issue. We will get this resolved.
Today we found workaround that works for us. We created own dll that overwrites preview editor and restore default editor. Just throw it into the project in Assets\Allegorithmic\Plugins\Substance\Substance Engine
We also attached source if someone needs it. Not sure if it works in all cases, we just restore default editor, and we don't know why even substance change it.

HI,

Can you please send me the sbs package? I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand what you are changing in the usages. A substance parameter shouldn't have any effect on the smoothness slider for the unity material. Can you email me at wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com?

Cheers,
wes

If their a plan/roadmap to enable the Substance source plugin to work with the Lightweight render pipeline.  The time consuming step I need to do is revert to the default shader for each material before I can send it to Substance and then reverse the process when I import it.  Unfortinately, Unity does not have a option to 'revert material to default shader' so is a bit of manual effort.

If their a plan/roadmap to enable the Substance source plugin to work with the Lightweight render pipeline.  The time consuming step I need to do is revert to the default shader for each material before I can send it to Substance and then reverse the process when I import it.  Unfortinately, Unity does not have a option to 'revert material to default shader' so is a bit of manual effort.

Hi,

Yes, we will support LWRP and HDRP officially in the plugin. This will come after we have released the plugin out of beta. We are now focused on fixing the workflow issues and making sure the plugin is on par with the original native plugin. The LW/HD pipelines are in preview so we not focusing on them just yet.

Cheers,
Wes

Thanks and glad to hear.

In the meantime, with the plugin can work directly in Unity3D with substance materials downloaded and then just change the Shader to lightweight. Not as precise as working in Substance painter, but for the initial drafts I am doing now, works fine.