Author Topic: Paint seamlessly over several UV and texture sets  (Read 4794 times)

At this rate, I wouldn't hold your breath.  It is frustrating - for sure.  It is my #1 requested feature.

I'm sure it has not been easy to get working properly and account for all the different hardware it needs to run on.

As for getting that perpetual - I understand.  It doesn't matter in the long run though, because at some point, to be compatible with ever-changing system software and drivers and all that you will have to upgrade and that will mean you will need to pay the subscription. 

I'm in a similar boat, and have held on to the monthly payment in hopes the cross texture painting would arrive and I could cash out to a perpetual.   I'm realizing now, just like every other software company that Adobe touches, subs are the way things are going to be.  I don't like it, but it is what it is.  This year is the first time since C4D version 7  that I did not renew my Maxon C4D because of their pressure to switch to subscription.  Their new president is from Adobe.

We just have to wait and see, and hope for the best.

I heard it's currently in closed beta with no estimated ETA. But considering I haven't even used Substance Designer ONCE since I activated my subscription, yes, having a monthly subscription makes no financial sense. I'd rather own software and then use it whenever I need it. Adobe figured out that a monthly income makes them more profit... and so other companies have followed suit. But such a software licensing model only benefits the company, NOT the users. SP and SD are advanced enough now that you could probably continue to use them for a long time. But Adobe is hoping that Alchemist will prove tempting enough for users to abandon perpetual licenses for SP and SD and swallow the subscription model for Alchemist instead.

I thought this feature was around the corner, Im holding out to get a maintenance for my licence until this feature is added.  its absolutely essential feature, its like having a car without wheels.  I do wonder how artists get around this, do they have to bring the texture into another program like Zbrush to paint across these seams?

Currently I handle it by not doing UDIMs, but instead doing texture sets for different parts of a model where the seams can be hidden.  Takes a little more planning and won't work in every situation.   For me, the biggest issue has been doing large scale landscapes where I need to do a zoom in from far away and end up close to the model, or doing even small objects that I want to zoom in super close to the details. 

I recently did an Aladdin's lamp where the surface had all these sculpted details.  I did those details with displacement and normals in Substance Painter. I quickly realized I needed more resolution and multiple textures with cross texture painting would have been ideal.

It turned out ok, but really could have used about 3 or 4 times the number of pixels in those textures, and I didn't want any seams running through the details.

Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 04:44:45 pm