Author Topic: Substance Designer Very Very Slow  (Read 4690 times)

Hello, been using both designer and painter for almost 3 years now on my same machine and now after designer's latest update I noticed it is very slow, just by hitting the space bar to choose a node takes a while. I uninstalled and re installed again after seeing that it worked for some but for me is not happening, any idea of what it may be or how can it be fixed? Very hard to work with it as it is now.

thanks ahead,
:-\

Hello, been using both designer and painter for almost 3 years now on my same machine and now after designer's latest update I noticed it is very slow, just by hitting the space bar to choose a node takes a while. I uninstalled and re installed again after seeing that it worked for some but for me is not happening, any idea of what it may be or how can it be fixed? Very hard to work with it as it is now.

thanks ahead,
:-\

Same problem I have with every update. I also reported it as an issue prior.

My specs:
GTX 1050 Ti SC 4GB
i7 4790K 4Ghz
32 GB DDR3 Ram Dual channel
Windows 10 64 Bit
HDD

I was told that with a good machine it would be only a few minutes to load. I already know that isn't the case because every update does this and I found out the reason. When you first update the program look at your Disk Usage %, it will be at 100. Apparently after each update it has to rebuild the entire library, so I just leave the program open for an hour, then when I come back it works fine. You have to leave it open and running, otherwise it wont rebuild the library.

Maybe a SSD would help...
Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:17:10 am
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Yep, just part and parcel of the update, I allow it to just sit in the background and do it's thing for a while, go and grab a coffee. Once it's done it's back to normal speed, but I definitely wouldn't try to use it in anger the first time I opened it directly following an update. The easiest way to tell if it's finished is switch library tabs, the speed of the thumbnail refresh is a good indicator.

Yep, just part and parcel of the update, I allow it to just sit in the background and do it's thing for a while, go and grab a coffee. Once it's done it's back to normal speed, but I definitely wouldn't try to use it in anger the first time I opened it directly following an update. The easiest way to tell if it's finished is switch library tabs, the speed of the thumbnail refresh is a good indicator.

It would be nice to show a building dialog box and a progress percentage so people actually know what is going on if it's rebuilding the library.

The first time this happened I was on a deadline to finish a material and didn't have a clue what the issue was until I checked my system health and noticed high disk usage right after updating and running.
Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:28:16 pm

So you guys do this only the first time after an update or you leave it open for a while every time you need to use it?

So you guys do this only the first time after an update or you leave it open for a while every time you need to use it?

Yes, I have no other option...

You'll know it's done when everything goes smoothly as you cycle through each tab. Also hit Ctrl + Shift + ESC to see your Task Manager and look at Performance. If you see Disk at 100% then you know it's still building.

Thank you, for the work around, kind of inconvenient during production but I'll take it, lol

thanks again,
D

Thank you, for the work around, kind of inconvenient during production but I'll take it, lol

thanks again,
D

Sadly I made the first mistake by doing the update during work hours... Never again.  ;D

Best of luck!

It would be nice to show a building dialog box and a progress percentage so people actually know what is going on if it's rebuilding the library.

I agree, that would be handy.

I am testing Substance Designer on a very fast machine...
But I'm also a bit astonished, how long it takes and what it is missing:

Just following an official tutorial about creating material from scans (4k, 16bit), it takes sometimes like a minute to change just one attribute.
EXAMPLE:
When I changed at the end the resolution (Output size), at first I could only change Width to 4096px, then come 3 minutes waiting time!
Then I was able to change the slider for Height, again with 3 Minutes waiting time!
At least the sliders should be connected, like you know from Photoshop "keep ratio", because the first 3 minutes were completely wasted, as I of course don't want a material with 4096px x 256px !
My computer uses only fastest SSD, but most of the time it uses like 10% Memory (I have 64GB RAM) and 10 % of CPU. I also have two gtx1080ti cards. All the power seems not to help.

I am testing Substance Designer on a very fast machine...
But I'm also a bit astonished, how long it takes and what it is missing:

Just following an official tutorial about creating material from scans (4k, 16bit), it takes sometimes like a minute to change just one attribute.
EXAMPLE:
When I changed at the end the resolution (Output size), at first I could only change Width to 4096px, then come 3 minutes waiting time!
Then I was able to change the slider for Height, again with 3 Minutes waiting time!
At least the sliders should be connected, like you know from Photoshop "keep ratio", because the first 3 minutes were completely wasted, as I of course don't want a material with 4096px x 256px !
My computer uses only fastest SSD, but most of the time it uses like 10% Memory (I have 64GB RAM) and 10 % of CPU. I also have two gtx1080ti cards. All the power seems not to help.

You still have to let the library rebuild. There is zero point in using the application until it rebuilds. Open it up, leave it alone for an hour.

I had the same issue and leaving it running for an hour completely fixed it. Thanks for the advice!