Author Topic: Pro vs Indie License  (Read 16767 times)

Not exactly sure about the difference between the pro and indie license, and was hoping someone could clear this up as I'm definitely interested in upgrading but unsure which package to go with. Right now I have the Indie license for Substance Designer, Painter, and B2M2. On the B2M3 licensing page, it says "Can I use Bitmap2Material in other products such as Unity, MODO, Maya, etc.?" 'Yes' for Pro, and 'No' for Indie. Does this mean that B2M3 Indie can't save out substance sbsar files? If it can't, couldn't you just save out your maps, bring them into Substance Designer, and then package it for 3dsMax or UE4 as a sbsar?

thanks for any help!

Not exactly sure about the difference between the pro and indie license, and was hoping someone could clear this up as I'm definitely interested in upgrading but unsure which package to go with. Right now I have the Indie license for Substance Designer, Painter, and B2M2. On the B2M3 licensing page, it says "Can I use Bitmap2Material in other products such as Unity, MODO, Maya, etc.?" 'Yes' for Pro, and 'No' for Indie. Does this mean that B2M3 Indie can't save out substance sbsar files? If it can't, couldn't you just save out your maps, bring them into Substance Designer, and then package it for 3dsMax or UE4 as a sbsar?

thanks for any help!

Hello,

There isn't any functional difference between the indie and pro versions. Nothing has been limited in terms of tools. However, the indie version only has the embedded B2M in the Substance Player and works as a standalone tool. So with the Indie version, you can't directly use B2M in Maya or Unity. With the indie version, you use the standalone player to import the source image, generate the maps and then export bitmaps for use in your application.

Yes, if you have the indie pack with B2M indie, you could export the maps then bring them into SD to package them as an sbsar for 3ds Max or UE4 for example.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

One thing thats probably helpful to add.. is that you can't take advantage of the procedural generation unless you're using the B2M SBSAR file.

Indie = export a bunch of maps,

Pro = SBSAR can generate material maps from 1 diffuse map during runtime. (saves disk space, smaller install)

I think if you were to generate all of the maps using indie, then put them into an SBSAR, it might compress it a little, but it's still going to be a pretty huge file compared to using the SBSAR with one Main Input image embedded.

Thank you both, that clears things up!

I think I'll go with the pro version!

Does that mean the indie version can't be used as a node in Substance Designer?

Does that mean the indie version can't be used as a node in Substance Designer?

That's right, you can't use the indie version as a node in SD. The Indie version is embedded in the Substance Player. You don't have the actual substance .sbsar file.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

That's disappointing.  Unfortunately, I can't justify an extra $100 for that functionality.  Thank you for the reply, though.