Author Topic: bake not possible - too many polygons - or file size  (Read 1111 times)

Hi Fellas,
i baked quiet some stuff in the past.even bigger meshes.But this time i have trouble with undecimated meshes from zbrush.
highmesh is about 25.million polys for 16 subtools which i exportet as one single fbx from zbrush.
iam able to import this file into 3d Studio max and it matches the position of my low mesh.

baking in SP throws me an error - it could not find the high poly mesh - some know this error.Its very common on this board.
i know poly max count is about 50 mil at SP.
So could this be my file size beeing over 1.5gb on the highpoly mesh?

Another question would be how substance handles this 50mil max polys.Can i attach multiple high meshes with each maxed at 50mil polys.Or does the 50mil limit stand for ALL high meshes in the bake list alltogehter?

There is no maximum poly count in Painter afaik. That being said, FBX files exported from Zbrush are pretty unreliable and I would recommend exporting again from 3dsmax before using it for baking in Painter, or exporting as an OBJ from ZBrush.

Hey Jeremie,

thanks for checking in.
iam pretty sure ive read a bout a max limit on polycount.i see it does not have one on importing meshes.https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/spdoc/mesh-and-uv-setup-168198996.html
i found out a solution to the problem.I had to clear my list of other High meshes in the bake dialoge and only keep the one i wanted to bake from.
As SP seems to calculate among all listed meshes when i want to "bake by name".
Seems logical.

So if anyone has this problem, reduce your meshs polycount or clear the list to bake only from the meshes you need.
Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:13:58 pm

There is no maximum poly count in Painter afaik. That being said, FBX files exported from Zbrush are pretty unreliable and I would recommend exporting again from 3dsmax before using it for baking in Painter, or exporting as an OBJ from ZBrush.

Is there any specific issues you've seen from FBX exporting from zBrush? I've only heard of scale being messed up.

the question is directed to Jeremie, but i wanted to tell you my experience regarding Zbrush;SP,3DStudiomax.

Fbx exported from zbrush never ever gave me probles,when the scale (zbrush "export" settings) is the same as the low poly.
But 3DStudio Max can give you some troubles.

If you modifiy your UVs in 3D Studio and export a fbx for Substance then you MUST check automatic Unit conversion in the fbx export dialog/3dsmax.If you choose any other measurement you basicvally get black bakes in SP ;)

Thanks for the tip!