Author Topic: 8K and 16K texture size  (Read 17248 times)

Hi,
I was about to upgrade my B2N pro licence to v.3 but I had to stop because the 4K texture size limit. I was really hopping you are going to increase the maximum texture size.
Do we have any chance to see this 4K limit removed? 8K or even 16K shouldn`t be a problem for high end video cards, not to mention the Quadro and Firepro with 12GB and 16GB video Ram.
All your software is just brilliant, but 4K limit it`s a bit spartan in my opinion. There are 4K monitors on the market for a while now.
Thanks.

Check out the Output size!

Many thanks for heading me in the right direction. Downloading the demo now.
Check below my screengrab. It`s from the main page.
Cheers!

Hehe, I was really pissed off for a minute but than I started to laugh. Hehe, not a very good joke for a user.  :o >:( :( ;):)
Just to put things straight, in my demo it looks like this:

Anyway, you gave me 5 minutes of real pleasure. Thanks for that. The minute after doesn`t count. :)

Now go to Options/Set Size Limit/

And then look at the Output Size dropdown

Btw, on my GTX 780Ti the GPU chokes on 32K textures, even 8K is really hard on my pc with things moving like molasses. Be warned and hope for further optimization in the coming weeks.

Another update, one of my guys is using a GTX 980 w/4GB RAM and it's not doing very good over 4k. This seems to be strictly for Quadro cards with serious memory.

Upgrade done.
I didn`t played to much with B2M. It`s time for some serious digging.
I`m with a Titan-6Gb Ram. For now it`ll do.
Thanks again for your help and all your feedback.
Take care!

Upgrade done.
I didn`t played to much with B2M. It`s time for some serious digging.
I`m with a Titan-6Gb Ram. For now it`ll do.
Thanks again for your help and all your feedback.
Take care!

Hi Mark,

As unity2k mentioned, you need to set the Size Limit in Options>Set Size Limit. Also, you need to set the engine to GPU to get higher than 2k maps (Options>Switch Engine). However, higher than 4K maps can definitely choke the system if you don't have a beefy GPU.

Cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi there, I found this thread while looking for a way to export 6K textures from B2M. I can export 4K, 8K, or 16K, but I have a client that needs 6K textures and I can't see a way to set the texture size accordingly. Currently I have to export 8K, then scale in Photoshop which is a pretty huge waste of time when working with a lot of materials. Is there any way to add this option in the future? Thanks!

Hi there, I found this thread while looking for a way to export 6K textures from B2M. I can export 4K, 8K, or 16K, but I have a client that needs 6K textures and I can't see a way to set the texture size accordingly. Currently I have to export 8K, then scale in Photoshop which is a pretty huge waste of time when working with a lot of materials. Is there any way to add this option in the future? Thanks!

HI,

I'm sorry but we don't have an option for 6K. Its a specification of the GPU engine where it needs to be square - power of 2 image.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

When i try to switch the engine i just have Directx10 and SSE2 to select and my gpu is not listed there.
I have a GTX 1080 updated with Cuda 8..
i want use textures above 2k .-.
Could anyone help me out ?

Cheers,

Leon
Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:32:22 am

Hey leon.petersohn,

the DirectX option is the GPU (Graphics Card) Driver.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hi, as mentionned by Fabian, Direct3D 10 is the GPU engine and SSE2 is the CPU.
If you select the first one, you should be able to generate materials over 2k.

When i try to switch the engine i just have Directx10 and SSE2 to select and my gpu is not listed there.
I have a GTX 1080 updated with Cuda 8..
i want use textures above 2k .-.
Could anyone help me out ?

Cheers,

Leon
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

Hey guys, I just found this thread.

I have found this pretty puzzling. I am able to export 8k max out of my computer with 64gb ram and a 12gb vram on my titan x pascal. I notice that when I switch to 16k the vram spikes up then shoots down and everything I export ends up at 8k max (not 16k or 32k).

Honestly 8k is awesome and fine for my needs and I must have been previously limited at 4k before on my 980ti with 6gb vram. At 8k it uses around 8gb vram on the titan x. But man 16k and 32k would be intense. I just want to see it!

I know the quadros exists with more vram (p5000 16gb and p6000 24gb) but how much vram would be required to display and export 16k and 32k textures out of curiosity?