Author Topic: Choice of Mandatory Environment Map  (Read 1166 times)

First of all, thank you Allegorithmic for making another exciting texturing contest!
I understand that this particular contest is Automotive related, thus the decision of using Studio Automotive Neutral as mandatory environment. However as I began working on my submission I have noticed how the environment map gave such a flat and plasticy specular response in comparison to any other environment maps that comes with Substance Painter. Any materials other than super glossy car paint material all look extremely flat when thrown into this environment. To me, this kind of discourages contestants to create material variations and just focus on designing patterns for the car? Are anyone else experiencing this? Still a great contest nonetheless, and good luck everyone on your submissions :)

here is the same metallic car paint material being rendered in three different environments (1. Studio Automotive Neutral 2. Tomoco Studio 3. cave entry forest)

Totally agree with you Alex~ Hope they can accept your suggest and change the HDRI!!

Totally agree with you ! I also noticed this difference between HDR's

So that's why I found Substance wasn't behaving like usual and I wasn't able to get a good metallic finish...

This is actually a pretty typical lighting setup for showcasing cars. The mandatory renders need to use this environment but you are free to use a custom environment for the optional additional shots that can be sent with the submision.

This is actually a pretty typical lighting setup for showcasing cars. The mandatory renders need to use this environment but you are free to use a custom environment for the optional additional shots that can be sent with the submision.

Hi Jeremie, thank for the reply  :) May I ask during the judging phase, will the judges also take in account what the cars look like in the non-mandatory images submitted? Or will it be judged mainly based on the three mandatory images ?

thanks

All the images submitted will be looked at.