Author Topic: X-TAON: The Art Car Texturing Contest  (Read 29133 times)

Step into a car designer’s shoes and show us your texturing skills in this contest by using Substance Painter to create your very own version of the X-TAON show car. You’re in the driving seat now!

The contest runs until Tuesday, December 18.

The contest blog post: https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/x-taon-art-car-texturing-contest

New to Substance Painter? Or want to brush up your skills? We prepared a tutorial right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTdOPQ8-sg0
Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 08:10:58 pm

I'm a little bit confused.

Do you have to choose a famous artist and texture the car with his art? For example, I choose Picasso and I make a Picasso car?

Or do I just make a cool design with my own ideas, my own art ?
Maxime Dotremont - 3D Artist
My ArtStation

Based on the fact they provided a Pinterest link  for inspiration which isn't art cars depicting famous artwork, I'd say it's a case of you doing your own art.

Yes, the goal is for you to create your own art car, you can of course draw inspiration from famous artists if you want though.

Is it ok to bake new mesh maps?

You can bake new mesh maps to fix some issues if you find any but not use a custom high poly mesh.

What about rule #4? Does that mean we cant use the Substance logo?

The Substance logo and logos from the sponsors are allowed.

the mesh is very laid out in substance, uvs and etc are very efficient to let us constraint on make art

Probably related to maged.eg's post: How can I paint across two texture sets? e.g. If I would want a long stroke of paint from the hood to the back.

It's been a while since I used substance software and I'm hoping someone could help here or link a good tutorial for that.

You cannot, you'll need to do it in 2 steps. Try to keep the camera steady, project/paint one part on one texture set, switch texture set then project the rest.

You cannot, you'll need to do it in 2 steps. Try to keep the camera steady, project/paint one part on one texture set, switch texture set then project the rest.

That's what I thought. Thanks for replying!

Probably related to maged.eg's post: How can I paint across two texture sets? e.g. If I would want a long stroke of paint from the hood to the back.

It's been a while since I used substance software and I'm hoping someone could help here or link a good tutorial for that.

according to the rules we're allowed to adjust the UV maps, if you change it to something like this . . .

you can fit the UVs of Body A and B on to a single material at a scale of 75%
you'll lose some quality, but at least be it will enable you paint & project across the whole body. It depends on if you're willing to make the trade off in texture resolution. screenshot of the difference between the 2 below.

Original UVs at 4k . .

UVs at a scale of 75% (so 3k i guess . .  is there was such a thing)

maybe it can be if its a procedural paint with fill or generators you can link one material with other texturset
if hand painting i think the other technique is pretty fine (Y)

so custom stencil / stamps are allowed ?
like flora or maybe alpha for art i did in Photoshop ??