Author Topic: Unity 2018.2.15f and higher errors: .NET4.x  (Read 2387 times)

Hi Everyone,

We have been receiving reports of plugin errors with Unity 2018.2.15f and higher. It appeared to be an issue with .NET4.x.

However, it turns out it's not actually a ".NET issue." The problem is that C#'s "DynamicInvoke" function does not work anymore as of Unity 2018.2.15. (we use that C# function to execute C++ functions from C# code). These types of changes between point releases are the type of problems we have been facing as we build the plugin. It makes the development process a bit of a moving target, so we greatly apologize for the issues you have had to deal with. In our 2.2 update, we will use C#'s "Invoke" function and as a bonus, "Invoke" is more performant than "DynamicInvoke."

NOTES:
- Our next plugin (v2.2) is for UNITY-2018.2.x. For those versions; the default .NET is 3.5.
- The default .NET version for UNITY-2018.3.x is 4.x We've been testing .NET 3.5 and 4.s)
- The user scripts are run with respect to UNITY's .NET version.

If you are using the 2.1.0 or 2.1.1 plugin, you will need to use .NET 3.5 and this will work in Unity 2018.2.15f and higher. You can use .NET 4x on Unity versions 2018.2.14f and lower.

We will have the issue resolved with .NET4 with our 2.2 plugin update.

Cheers,
Wes
Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 05:57:11 pm
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Glad I saw this before I started my 2017.4 -> 2018.2 project upgrade. Of course I was about to start with the latest 2018.2 release but I'll drop down to 2018.2.14 now. C# 6 support with the .NET 4x framework is an absolute must for me!

Boy, they sure aren't making things easy for you guys! And sadly the road will continue to be similarly bumpy I imagine for the foreseeable future. They are making huge changes to the scripting backend in 2018.3+, by moving to the Roslyn compiler and adding C# 7 support. NET 3.5 is going to be deprecated. Lots of changes going on with the Scriptable Render Pipelines too. And then a new Editor UI system for 2019.1... Phew! It's definitely a bit of a pain for everyone but very exciting to see that the engine is being modernized at such a rapid pace.

Now, a question. Is it known whether the Substance Plugin 2.1 -> 2.2 upgrade process will be fairly straightforward? I'm wondering if I maybe should just hold off on my 2018.2 upgrade until 2.2 is out, but if it looks like it will be pretty simple there wouldn't be a need to wait.
Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 06:16:37 pm

Hi!
Do you have an approximate release time frame for 2.2 version? Do you have an internal copy that I can use?
Thanks.

Hi!
Do you have an approximate release time frame for 2.2 version? Do you have an internal copy that I can use?
Thanks.

We are looking at having the release in early January. We are moving into beta now. Can you send me a PM about the beta?

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja