Author Topic: User Channel Outputting Different Colour Range  (Read 1143 times)

Good evening, guys... it's been a while since I posted here, but after diving into Substance Painter last night to give a project a much-needed spit shine, I ran into an issue that involves creating user channels for texturing. I have authored a skin shader in Unity that uses Subsurface Scattering and I needed to make two textures for the shader (And Epidermis and Subdermis map) and I had to copy each parameter by hand to ensure the channels matched up (this needs to be a feature to copy data from one channel to another). Unfortunately, the difference in colour was very evident, especially when compared to the base colour. Both channels are set to sRGB

Epidermis Map (before desaturation)

Subdermal Map (Before Saturation)

And a video demonstrating this:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1067062230053806081

Hopefully, someone has run into this issue and has a solution because I will be also be using this in Modo... I could have taken this in Substance Designer, but I enjoyed the process.

What you see is the expected behavior at the moment.
In Substance Painter the gamma space is fixed, this means we consider the BaseColor channel to be sRGB and display it as such in the viewport, while user channels are Linear (like the Roughness and Metallic channels). So while the data between the two channels is identical, they are not displayed the same way.

Right now in Substance Painter you can't override the gamma space of the channels. You can try enabling the "color space" control in the Display Settings and leaving it empty. This will force the BaseColor channel to display as Linear as well.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

What you see is the expected behavior at the moment.
In Substance Painter the gamma space is fixed, this means we consider the BaseColor channel to be sRGB and display it as such in the viewport, while user channels are Linear (like the Roughness and Metallic channels). So while the data between the two channels is identical, they are not displayed the same way.

Right now in Substance Painter you can't override the gamma space of the channels. You can try enabling the "color space" control in the Display Settings and leaving it empty. This will force the BaseColor channel to display as Linear as well.

So the final output should be fine... I'll export the textures and look at them in Substance Designer (it should look identical), otherwise I will have to just do my modified subdermal textures by using the base map and saturating that. Also, the RGB values are way different so that is throwing everything off.
Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:55:46 pm