Author Topic: Crashes when added materials from store  (Read 912 times)

I've downloaded some materials from the store and whenever I try and use one it freezes up substance painter and it crashes.

The standard materials work fine.

Can you provide a link to the materials, see if I have them. I've downloaded quite a few from the store with no issues.
Could be a memory thing  / GPU issue.

I can confirm trying to import those materials caues an issue, just downloaded them and SP stopped responding.
I have SD, so I've also downloaded the SBS file and loaded that up. Both use a default map size of 4096, which I think is actually maxing out the memory, thus bringing SP to it's knees.
I had a similar issue with SBS files and had to turn off auto-compute of nodes and viewport refresh to load them. I reset the size to 1024 and exported the materials. Even then, the thumbnails in SP to a long time to display. Clearly they are very heavy computationally so if you're hitting memory limits, it's going to virtual memory which is making it so unresponsive sa to result in crashes. Once the thumbnail had displayed in SP, even trying to use the material causes it to hang. Theoretically, they do work, but to be honest, they are so resource heavy as to be unusable. As I've been typing all of this, the progress bar in SP is still only half way on my system having applied the material to a cube. (i4570 3.2Ghz with 16GB ram and GTX1050ti 4GB GPU).
... 3 minutes later and the model finally showed the material. Even at 512, they do display after a few seconds, but try to change the map size to 1024 or above and they become unusable.

Hi, thanks for the feedback! We made some modifications on the files to optimize them, it should be better now.
The materials are still quite heavy, however performances should be better. Can you please give it a try to see how it goes?

Regarding the point you mentionned about the "default map size of 4096" : it's only a parameter for preview (the "Parent Size" one) in Substance Designer and will not affect performances in Substance Painter.
It's a quick way to generate the material at the desired resolution in Substance Designer without having to set an absolute one (that would have an impact everywhere as it would be static).
However the resolution of your "Texture Set" in Substance Painter will have an impact on the computation time of the material (in case you use it in a fill layer for example).
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

Hey Gaetan,

"Painted Metal Chipped" is still crashing it when imported.

Hi, thanks for the feedback! We made some modifications on the files to optimize them, it should be better now.
The materials are still quite heavy, however performances should be better. Can you please give it a try to see how it goes?

Hi Gaetan,
I can confirm they are loading much quicker now, still a lag at 4096 but what I'd call, "normal" for my system at 4K and no crashes or freezes. :-)   Unlike Enaver, I don't have any issues on load, though to be fair, I deliberately set my map size to 256 before loading then upped it one "notch" at a time.

Enaver - could you try that? Before importing, try using a sample scene, set the texture set to 256, then import and apply. I found the paint chipped to actually load and display it's thumbnail far quicker than the hull chipped.
Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:10:26 pm