Author Topic: Bake texture from high-poly to low?  (Read 4060 times)

I projected a texture vertically onto my low-poly, but of course, there isn't enough geometry. Jagged results:

I projected the same texture onto the high-poly model and it works correctly:

1. How can I bake the texture from high-poly, to the low?

2. I only need high poly texture bake for this particular piece. For the rest of the model, I can texture the low-poly like normal. Is it possible to bake texture hi-to-low for this piece of the model only?

Provide your UV maps please.

Also what texture res are you using on your low poly?
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

There is no diffuse color baker in Painter unfortunately, but you can do it in Designer or Marmoset Toolbag, or transfer the colors to vertex colors in Zbrush and then bake an ID map from that in Painter.

Provide your UV maps please.

Also what texture res are you using on your low poly?

Don't have saved projects. Seams were in similar locations on both and UV islands the same general shapes. This was only a test with a placeholder Google Images texture (see watermarks). Resolution 2K on both.

There is no diffuse color baker in Painter unfortunately, but you can do it in Designer or Marmoset Toolbag, or transfer the colors to vertex colors in Zbrush and then bake an ID map from that in Painter.

Can try in Designer.

The high-poly will have separate pieces, whereas the low-poly these pieces will be simplified or combined. Something like this:

Possible in Designer to bake textures to stock section only, when low-poly model combines barrel, mechanism and stock into one mesh? Paint color ID for wood part of mesh only?

If you want/need a single texture set for your low poly object, just assign a single material to the entire gun (or put all UVs for all objects into 0-1 UV space and use the 'create a texture set per udim tile' feature).

You can still have any number of separate highpoly + lowpoly objects that will be used for baking purposes only.