Author Topic: Is anyone running Substance Painter 2018 on a MacBook Pro with the 4GB GPU?  (Read 2290 times)

My current MacBook Pro is sufficient enough to run Zbrush and Maya and do what I need, however Substance Painter is just killing it recently and causing a lot of crashes.  So before I go off and spend a bunch of money on a new laptop and decide between Windows laptop or a MacBook Pro I was curious if any one else was using it on a MacBook Pro with the 4GB GPU?

My current MacBook Pro is sufficient enough to run Zbrush and Maya and do what I need, however Substance Painter is just killing it recently and causing a lot of crashes.  So before I go off and spend a bunch of money on a new laptop and decide between Windows laptop or a MacBook Pro I was curious if any one else was using it on a MacBook Pro with the 4GB GPU?

Getting the same issue here. I am running a MacBook Pro 16 GB though. It can run Maya, Unity, Unreal Engine, and previous versions of SP. This version however, no luck.

@lucianblack have you looked into an eGPU?  My friend has one and loves it for video editing but I don't know if Substance Painter supports an eGPU.  However a Macbook Pro needs to be 2016 or newer due to Thunderbolt 3.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HM8Y2VC/A/blackmagic-egpu

There must be an issue then in the latest version of Substance Painter.  I thought as well it used to work fine so I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.
Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 12:03:33 am

Hey just curious – Any news on this front? Also eyeing the macbook pros and wondering what you wound up going with. Cheers.
-Robb