Author Topic: Procedural tree top  (Read 911 times)

I want to make a forest canopy, and for that I need to scatter some tree tops around. That part I can do, but to make a tree top itself I am a bit lost. If someone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Here is the effect that I am after:

Make a leaf shape, scatter (circular) it in to a small group of leaves, scatter that group of leaves into a bunch of groups of leaves and so on.

How do I confine the scattering to a mask area without simply cutting off that area?

And would it be better to use the Tile Sampler node or an FX map?

Here is my first crappy attempt. I think I need to scatter the trees individually in order to make separate species with different colors. But I am not sure how I can blend them nicely like with the cells noise map. I guess I have to use a custom FX map?

Here is a picture of a forest from above. It looks a bit like broccoli. I think using individual leaves doesn't give a good effect...

Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:28:08 am

I attached an image to show what I meant in my previous comment. Of course mines only basic as it took 5 minutes but the possibility to have something more complex and better is there.

Ah, now I see. That is exactly the look I was going for. Thanks!