Author Topic: Artefacts on lowpoly edges when baking highpoly mesh  (Read 5298 times)

Hi everyone.

I am getting wierd artefacts on lowpoly mesh when baking highpoly mesh. I getting them always so i created example (exports attached) cylinder. Those artefacts are on edges of lowpoly mesh. Can anybody help me what i am doing wrong?

Thanks a lot!

You're getting this issue because your low poly isn't matching up with your high poly. In order to bake properly you normally need to have a similar outline.

See the gaps?

Your artifacts are on the same spots where the gaps are. You need to add more edges to close the space a bit more. You can also adjust your baking settings: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=5692.0 Pay attention to Max Frontal and Max Rear Distance and understand how they work.

I would also suggest you don't use solid caps, you should make a habit of always using quads when modeling. You can delete the top and bottom faces and apply a grid fill in blender if that is what you're using. (Space - Search - Grid Fill) with the edge ring selected.
Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 06:59:24 pm
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Thanks for reply but problem is something else. I just created another test without caps (those was a bit confusing, sorry). Problem are vertical lines. Both meshes have very similar outline. Actually i cant imagine more similar outlines. I tested flat subdivaded plane and that is ok but on circular object i have a big problem.

Thanks for reply but problem is something else. I just created another test without caps (those was a bit confusing, sorry). Problem are vertical lines. Both meshes have very similar outline. Actually i cant imagine more similar outlines. I tested flat subdivaded plane and that is ok but on circular object i have a big problem.

Can you please attach your model so I can test it.

Sure, here they are :)

Sure, here they are :)

Easy fix for you! :)

So this is your problem with the edges:

The reason you're getting this result is because if you look at your model in Blender for example, all your edges are SHARP which caused this to happen.

I selected all your edges and deleted the markings, then selected only 1 EDGE and made that your seam. Keep in mind when you UV unwrap it's like cutting a 3D object to be flat, there isn't a reason to cut every edge unless you need a SHARP for some reason.

When I bake I get this:

With the material no edge issues:

I attached the fixed low obj.

EDIT: OPPS IMAGES DIDN'T ATTACH PROPERLY! FIXED!
Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 06:57:58 pm

Aaah... thanks a lot! I did not know about this. It makes sense! :)

Hi,

I seem to have the same problem, but I can't see how CAGameDEV's Blender solution would work in Modo.

I've got artefacts on my corners when I bake normals from the high poly mesh.
(The high poly is one I make from the low poly by subdivision.)

The artefacts are inside the UV map.

I've messed with the Baking parameters, updated graphics drivers and SP (2018.2.3), tried extra bevels..  I've managed to make it worse but not better.

How can I fix this?
(Or is it a case of, "if I was going there, I wouldn't start from here!")

Thanks,
Epi

Hi,

I seem to have the same problem, but I can't see how CAGameDEV's Blender solution would work in Modo.

I've got artefacts on my corners when I bake normals from the high poly mesh.
(The high poly is one I make from the low poly by subdivision.)

The artefacts are inside the UV map.

I've messed with the Baking parameters, updated graphics drivers and SP (2018.2.3), tried extra bevels..  I've managed to make it worse but not better.

How can I fix this?
(Or is it a case of, "if I was going there, I wouldn't start from here!")

Thanks,
Epi

This is caused because your cuts are marked SHARP.

I don't use Modo so I have no idea how someone would mark a sharp edge as opposed to a standard smooth seam and vise versa.

Does Modo have a smoothing option for edges? Smoothing groups? This should help I think???
Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:03:43 pm

Great, thanks for your help.  You gave me the impetus to figure out how Modo does smoothing.  This is something that I've previously only done in my renderer, not in the modeller.

I needed to increase the material's smoothing angle, then convert this to a Vertex map so it would export.

For the next Modo user who happens by, this is the tutorial I used.
https://vimeo.com/118635948

Thanks again,
Epi
Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:57:11 pm

Glad you figured it out.  :D

For me clearing sharp edges in Blender didn't cut it.

However, setting shading to smooth solved the issue (Edit Mode -> Select all faces/vertices/edges (A) -> Tool Shelf (T) -> Shading UVs -> Faces: Smooth; smooth shading can also be set in Object Mode (Tool Shelf -> Tool -> Shading: Smooth), but I haven't tried it to say that it would work).

For me clearing sharp edges in Blender didn't cut it.

However, setting shading to smooth solved the issue (Edit Mode -> Select all faces/vertices/edges (A) -> Tool Shelf (T) -> Shading UVs -> Faces: Smooth; smooth shading can also be set in Object Mode (Tool Shelf -> Tool -> Shading: Smooth), but I haven't tried it to say that it would work).

Marking Sharp works for Auto Smooth and Edge Splitting. If you're not doing one or the other you wont notice the difference. You also have to make sure you have smoothing set, and not flat for shading.

Example:

Mark Sharps:

Nothing changes due to no auto smooth:

If you toggle it on or use Edge Splitting like below:

It works:

You can also toy around with 'Edge Angle' depending on what you're doing, but if you're just smoothing everything and want some sharp edges, then it works.

The reason why removing the Sharp marks worked was because if you import the OBJ from the first post 'Low Poly' one, you'll notice Auto Smoothing is enabled.
Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:31:32 am