Author Topic: Re-merge Texture Sets?  (Read 62742 times)

I'm still waiting for this simple workflow issue to be resolved. It's not worth my time using Substance at the moment, I just want to replace all my Revit materials with Substance materials, not learn a complicated workflow that I cannot teach any architectural employee.

So, SP 2.6 recently released. We still don’t have “re-merge texture sets”. You have decided not to implement this feature?  It is really necessary and useful feature.  :'(

Hi,

We've made an official post about texture set merging. Please see this sticky post.
https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,16732.0.html

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Am I reading this wrong or does it mean we don't get the option to merge texture sets?

I do not really understand what the feature that's being added does, except if it actually just hides parts of a mesh by material.
It doesn't sound like it would help reducing the amount of texture files you get in the end.

Since I last posted in this thread I figured out maske and it works okish for me, but defining materials in blender and not having to worry about masking in SP would just be so much more convenient.

So if you can not add it on export without burning our machines, could you do it Inside painter?
Something like the bake textures button that gives the option to select which sets to merge and create an additional one from those?
That would still be kinda non destructive.

Sorry if I got it all wrong and the feature this thread is about is in the works.
Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:31:18 pm

Am I reading this wrong or does it mean we don't get the option to merge texture sets?

I do not really understand what the feature that's being added does, except if it actually just hides parts of a mesh by material.
It doesn't sound like it would help reducing the amount of texture files you get in the end.

Since I last posted in this thread I figured out maske and it works okish for me, but defining materials in blender and not having to worry about masking in SP would just be so much more convenient.

So if you can not add it on export without burning our machines, could you do it Inside painter?
Something like the bake textures button that gives the option to select which sets to merge and create an additional one from those?
That would still be kinda non destructive.

Sorry if I got it all wrong and the feature this thread is about is in the works.

Hi,

I'm sorry for the confusion. We will not be working on a merge texture set feature. We are adding the ability to hide meshes based on mesh parts. This is different than hiding by material as we currently have in Painter. At this time, users are creating multiple texture sets so that they can hide parts of the mesh while Painting. In Painter this is the only way to hide meshes (based on materials) and in the end you get many texture sets.

However, when we add the ability to hide by meshes, you will have a much improved workflow. If you only need a single texture set, then you will be able to use a single material and then hide parts of the mesh while you work. In the end, you will get a single set of textures because you only need a single material.

Cheers,
wes 
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Ahh, now I got it, thanks for the super fast reply.

Alright, that will sure help and speed up the way I do stuff.

Thanks for the clarification Wes!

Hi Wes,

I don't think that works well at all for architectural workflows, but then again, the explanation is so confusing and technical that I'm not sure that it really implies.

Architects will come in with a merged mesh that contains multiple textures. We want oreplace these textures with better substance textures and then export a single mesh and a single map of all these textures together. IT seems to me that your solution will be totally useless for this worklfow? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Obviously, architect will use Susbtance is a totally different way than game designers and modellers. But please, I highly suggest you look at the workflow of an architect that wants to bring his Revit model to Unity and bake through Substance in 3ds Max. We are trying to parse through all your complex documentation to do something somewhat simple and it's a huge pain. And then things like this happen that make the product almost too much trouble for it's worth. I don't want to spend 3 hours merging 150 textures in Photoshop.

Anyhow, I hope that whatever solution you guys implement will work for everyone and that I can start using Substance again. Until this merging problem is resolved, I'm going to stick to my old ugly textures.

Is there any possible to select which channel need to exported base on texture set? For example there is a texture set only for Mask, so can I just export mask channel for this texture set?

I haven't looked through all the comments, but could someone let me know if this feature has been implemented? Is anyone able to 're-merge' texture sets during export?

Please refer to the pinned thread here: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,16732.0.html

i still waiting for this feature exist.

merge in designer are tedious.