Author Topic: Re-merge Texture Sets?  (Read 64429 times)

Re-Merge texture sets would be a cool feature to be added...

Is that a feature request or a question ? :)
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

... just a thought ;)

But feel free, to add as a request (but i think there is already one @uservoice?!)

Kind Regards

Btw.

a) the support here is nothing short of outstanding and b) company is another piece in a puzzle that makes me want to move to France.

Vive La Republique, Vive Allegorithmic  :D
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

Gave it a go with Badger's files.  It seems like the node is working fine, but when combining all of the materials together the metallic and roughness outputs are not coming along. I could only merge the normal and base color.
Maybe it's something with the files?  I don't know :S

Btw.

a) the support here is nothing short of outstanding and b) company is another piece in a puzzle that makes me want to move to France.

Vive La Republique, Vive Allegorithmic  :D

Thanks very much : ) We are so happy to hear it.

I checked the files and it doesn't look like you have the ID map hooked up. I didn't have the Painter project, so I used the FBX to bake an ID map in Designer. Actually, this is much easier to just bake the ID in Designer. It can be easier as you can set the material color. In the attached image you can see the setup I used. This creates a mask I can use to remove the padding.

I have the key color settings so that if you wanted to use this without designer (Substance Player), you can. This is for users who do export the ID map, but may have different colors for the ID.

For the key color, you need to select the color of the background in the ID map. Not the ID color. You can do this if you want to only select a single shell.

Transparent background/IDs White: Key color = white, Mask Invert = False

Transparent background/IDs Color: Key color = black, Mask invert = True

Non-transparent background/IDs Color: Key color = background color, Mask Invert = True

I have attached a revised version of the SBS.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hey Wes,
I tried the new sbs file you uploaded.. I'm still getting the same issue where the metallic, rough and AO are not showing up when trying to combine multiple maps together using multi mat blend/ mat blend, so I had a look at your sbs file and these nodes are set to color as outputs, shouldn't they be set to grayscale?

Hey Wes,
I tried the new sbs file you uploaded.. I'm still getting the same issue where the metallic, rough and AO are not showing up when trying to combine multiple maps together using multi mat blend/ mat blend, so I had a look at your sbs file and these nodes are set to color as outputs, shouldn't they be set to grayscale?

Oh, yes.. You're right. : )  I'm sorry for this. I fixed the sbs.

Cheers,

Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Ok so I'm trying to tackle this and having issues, I'm very new to PBR so it's all a little overwhelming.

What I don't understand with the MultiBlend node is the fact there's only 1 ID Mat input but when exporting my 2 Texture Sets from SP I get 2 ID maps each with a different colour for the target material. I assume I need them combined somehow? Both my material layers are from one UV so all I'm looking to do is merge them down into one single Texture Set.

Maybe it's my workflow that is wrong? I like using material layers as it isolates my parts nicely for painting but maybe I can import my mesh into SP with multiple materials and then bake the id maps thus creating masks. After which I reimport the mesh with only a single material and use the previous id maps as masks somehow, keeping clean lines when painting parts.  Thought's, is this possible rather than messing around with merging textures?

I kind of assumed as a consumer SP would handle this all, especially with SD installed also. For game dev this merging is really important, it's no good generating  extra textures per material on a single UV thus killing performance. Single draw call - single material etc. Anyhow I have some learning to do still so I'll suss it all out hopefully.
Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:24:09 pm
Yo

Ok so I'm trying to tackle this and having issues, I'm very new to PBR so it's all a little overwhelming.

What I don't understand with the MultiBlend node is the fact there's only 1 ID Mat input but when exporting my 2 Texture Sets from SP I get 2 ID maps each with a different colour for the target material. I assume I need them combined somehow? Both my material layers are from one UV so all I'm looking to do is merge them down into one single Texture Set.

Maybe it's my workflow that is wrong? I like using material layers as it isolates my parts nicely for painting but maybe I can import my mesh into SP with multiple materials and then bake the id maps thus creating masks. After which I reimport the mesh with only a single material and use the previous id maps as masks somehow, keeping clean lines when painting parts.  Thought's, is this possible rather than messing around with merging textures?

I kind of assumed as a consumer SP would handle this all, especially with SD installed also. For game dev this merging is really important, it's no good generating  extra textures per material on a single UV thus killing performance. Single draw call - single material etc. Anyhow I have some learning to do still so I'll suss it all out hopefully.

Hi,

It comes down to how you assign the materials. In terms of creating a more optimized texture (single material), its best to create a single texture set (material ID).

1. Assign a single material to the entire mesh. This will result in a single texture set in Painter.
2a. In Painter, you can create a layer group for each material. Think of each layer group as a texture set. Place a mask on the layer group and mask the areas that indicate the material for that group.

2b. This is the same mindset as 2a. However, you can bake an ID map to easily create the mask for the layer groups. In this setup, you will use a different version of the mesh with multiple materials assigned. In the baker, load the low res mesh with the multiple materials assigned and only bake the ID map.

In this workflow, you could also just use the high res mesh for the material IDs. The ID baker will look at the mesh loaded for the material IDs. This could be the high or low res mesh.

I use the method described in 2a. This way, when you export, you will only have a single set of textures to assign to one material. You don't need to worry about merging textures.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Thanks Wes, I kinda got my head round those methods eventually when I discovered the mask feature. Will the masks work with color or just black and white. One way to find out I suppose. :)
Yo

Hi again, so i've tried 2b method, feels a little long winded with the exporting of the ID maps and then a import on a new mesh but it did work. It works almost perfectly but the edges of the masks have jagged edges on angled lines that seem to mix a little causing unwanted light reflection on the seems. It comes out much cleaner with multi materials. Any tips on the ID map export to sharpen and keep clean lines, I choose 4k map for my tests.
Yo

Where can I put my voice in to make this a feature set improvement? To me, this is the most irritating thing about Substance Painter. I take the time to make the UVs so that I get everything on one sheet, only to have Substance Painter split them all into a different map per material. From what I'm reading here, if I want them back on one map, I have to take them into Substance Designer? If I hadn't purchased the indie pack, this would make me ask for my money back because it defeats the purpose of setting up your UV maps in the first place. This is like Zbrush flipping textures for no earthly reason and them acting like it shouldn't bother anyone. Please fix this. As it stands now, there is no way I would use this for a multi material model because it adds unnecessary steps to an already complex task.
I'm old enough to know better... but young enough to still do it anyway....

Is there someplace you can control the background color of the exported textures? I can't find a control for that, if you could control background color then compositing could be done quickly and easily. And even better would be transparent background option so you toss them on top of each other in PS and flatten image and save, very easily automated if needed.

but the edges of the masks have jagged edges on angled lines that seem to mix a little causing unwanted light reflection on the seems. It comes out much cleaner with multi materials. Any tips on the ID map export to sharpen and keep clean lines, I choose 4k map for my tests.

This is a problem too but I thought I read that correctly anti-aliasing material ID maps was going to be added. AFAIK all you can do now is output them as high res as you can, try 8k if you can support that. It would be yet more steps but you could also go to Photoshop and select by color range and then expand the selection by one or two pixels and refill to make sure the ID map is fully overlaying the UV coordinates.