Author Topic: Re-merge Texture Sets?  (Read 62745 times)

Hi

Is it possible to merge the texture sets' output when exporting all the final channels?
I'm exporting to Unity where it's important to keep the number of materials to a minimum:
I have two texture sets in my source model which occupy their own spaces in a single UV map and
so can exist in a single image per channel. However, when I export from SP, I still have two sets per channel, i.e in Unity terms, two materials.

Any way to recombine in SP?

Thanks

Steve

Hi

Is it possible to merge the texture sets' output when exporting all the final channels?
I'm exporting to Unity where it's important to keep the number of materials to a minimum:
I have two texture sets in my source model which occupy their own spaces in a single UV map and
so can exist in a single image per channel. However, when I export from SP, I still have two sets per channel, i.e in Unity terms, two materials.

Any way to recombine in SP?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

There is not a method to recombine them in SP. I would minimize the texture sets before importing the mesh into SP. I would make sure that I have only the textures sets to match the number of materials I need in Unity. For this, you would need to adjust the UV layout to accommodate the UVs for the meshes. You could overlap some UVs and they will be mirrored while painting.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I am seconding this request because I am looking to merge the final texture into one and the current workflow is very painful to work with. I also reimported
my gun model with one material and it ruined all of my work :(, so yes, we need to have an option to Export Flattened...

You can merge the textures in Substance Designer. I just tested it and it works well.

Basically you will create materials for each of your material ID using the maps exported from painter inside substance. Then you can combine these materials using multi material blend and the svg map of your various parts. Then you can export a single combined map for each of base color, normal, roughness, metallic etc from Substance Designer. Once you have this graph you can plug in any new inputs and repeat the procedure.

Hi,

We will be adding this ability in a future update. Its on the roadmap.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

In the mean time, couldn't you set up a workflow in Substance Designer (If you have it) that takes your output maps and then combines them to from your final maps you are looking for?

I know this will be some set up time, but after it is set up once you can have the maps set to auto-watch or just hit the recompute button and then it would build your final output files for you?

I agree that this needs to be in for the future, but you might have tools now that can get the job done easily until that happens!

If anyone has made a nice preset for this, it's worth a couple of dollars or beers as well. Cheers, anyone?
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

I'd like to see this feature implemented as well...

Hi,

Here is an SD node. You can also use this with the Free Substance Player as well if you don't have SD. It allows you to input base color, normal, metal, roughness, height and AO to remove padding. You need to supply a color ID map.

When you bake the ID from Painter, be sure to uncheck the Apply Diffusion parameter. Then, you need to export the ID map from Painter. You can do this by using the Additional Maps preset option.

To use the node, just plugin your exported maps and the ID map, and it will remove the padding. You can adjust the background color for the maps as well as mask blur on the edges.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Thanks, Wes.

I can't get it to work, it only takes one node input?

Am I misunderstanding something?

It doesn't work for me. I think I am confused...

It doesn't work for me. I think I am confused...

Hi,

When you created the ID map, did you uncheck Apply Diffusion? It needs to have an ID map without the diffusion (padding) to create a clean matte.

Once you link in the bitmaps exported from Painter, you need to take the ID, place it in the ID input and then choose a background color to key. I think with apply diffusion off, it should just be white which is what the node defaults to.

I have it set to take in a material. If you hit the 1 key it will expose the inputs and you can manually hook up the textures as I have done in the 2nd image.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

I'm sorry, but it really doesn't work. I'll stop wasting your time here and just bake out alpha channels for photoshop layer comps.

I'm sorry, but it really doesn't work. I'll stop wasting your time here and just bake out alpha channels for photoshop layer comps.

I'm very sorry this is not working for you. I can take a look at the files if you like.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

For those following along, here are my output png's and sbs: http://ovh.to/6o736