Author Topic: Substance Source to Revit to Lumion 8.5  (Read 994 times)

Hello.  I am a civil engineer and completely new to this Substance texture and materials thing.  Only been working with this stuff for a few weeks now.

I downloaded a bunch of Substances from Substance Source one of which was Asphalt Shingles.  In Substance Player, I made changes and exported the maps required in Revit and Lumion (Base Color, Normal and Glossiness - Glossiness hasn't been added to an Alpha Channel in Photoshop yet).  There are a few questions about the first two file types: Base & Normal.

1.  In Revit, the x,y scale and position of the normal map is not the same as the Base Color map.  I have to manually adjust it to be the same.  Is this a bug from the material or from Substance Player?  When I opened the other file in Substance Designer, the normal map and height map aren't the same 2048x2048 size as the Base Color Map and other outputs.  This seems to be a flaw in the coding?

2. The normal map, even after cranking it up to max prior to exporting from Substance Player, adjusting to scale above and cranking up the scale in Revit to max, doesn't produce the correct depth/height when viewed in Lumion.  It still shows up as completely flat.  However, it seems to show up with some height in Revit though.  Is this a bug or just a compatibility issue?  See 1 above regarding Substance Designer findings.

3. In the 3D testing environment on the Substance Source website, the Height Range slider actually changes the thickness of the shingles.  When making adjustments in Substance player, the Height Range slider doesn't work.  This must be a bug?

Thanks for any assistance in advance!
Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:25:43 pm

Hi !

Regarding your two first questions, it seems that there was an issue with the Substance material.
It has been fixed, and you can download the updated version on substance Source.
You should not see any issues anymore, sorry about the trouble this caused you!

Regarding your last question, by default the scale of the height is on 0 in the player, while it is different on the 3D testing environment on the Substance Source website.
To change this in the Substance player go to Materials > Default > Edit.
There you can change the scale of the height.

I hope this helped, please let us know if you run into any more problems!
PO @ Allegorithmic

Thank you, Marion!

Scale still comes in wrong in Revit but that's ok.  After looking through a bunch of materials, Revit just handles materials in a very rudimentary way.  I'll be applying the materials/textures directly in Lumion.  It's just simpler that way.

The 4K textures produced for the Asphalt Shingles are spectacular!  If you guys are looking at creating architectural content, of which there is great need, put some focus on SHINGLE and SIDING types.

Lastly, when the programming file is downloaded and opened in substance designer, is it possible to swap out the base color map and bring in our own without violating any license agreement?

Also, I have found that Substance Player isn't able to exported presets.  I have been saving the *.sbsprs file with each material I export as its own file.  We are supposed to be able to bring those presets back in by using Presets > Load File and bringing that file in.  However, that functionality is not working.  Is this a bug in Substance Player?
Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:07:29 pm

Hi,

When the programming file is downloaded and opened in substance designer, is it possible to swap out the base color map and bring in our own without violating any license agreement?

It is definitely possible.

I have found that Substance Player isn't able to exported presets.  I have been saving the *.sbsprs file with each material I export as its own file.  We are supposed to be able to bring those presets back in by using Presets > Load File and bringing that file in.  However, that functionality is not working.  Is this a bug in Substance Player?

Regarding this issue, what is probably happening is that you are opening the preset file but not displaying it.
When you bring the preset back to Player there are two steps to follow: the first one is what you did (Presets > Load File).
The second step is to go to Presets again, and at the bottom of the list, above the "Export to maya" option the name of your .sbsprs file has apperared. You have to click on this, and it should now appear in the 3D view.

Please let me know if your issue was not solved, or if I was unclear
PO @ Allegorithmic

Brilliant!  Knowing is half the battle.