Author Topic: Multiple movable, rotatable light types for Substance Designer's viewport.  (Read 1159 times)

The lights in Substance Designer are so incredibly bad, that you only get to activate two, and are only able to move one of them.

This is a cruel joke for a program as popular and widely used as Substance Designer is. And for all the gorgeous renders of incredible procedural work that exist, this horrendous lighting setup is absolutely laughable. To make matters worse, the ONE light you can move is awkward and difficult to manipulate. Really, really awkward.

Every single Substance Designer user I know and have met, renders their newly created graph right inside the software.

I propose multiple movable lights of different types (spot, point, ect.) that you can add to your scene and manipulate using real 3D widgets. I very much hope this can happen soon.

Cheers!

Allen
3D art is magic.

There are many different software packages you can show off your materials in. To name a very prominent one, Marmoset Toolbag. That is not to say you are wrong. Lighting in Designer is poor but is it a necessity or nicety? I'm not sure.

Personally, I don't know too many people that render their stuff in iRay precisely due to its constraints.

If no one ever uses the renderer built into Designer then it's very stupid to have one built in to begin with.

A renderer of convenience should be convenient...  or it should just be removed completely.

That said, I have several friends who like to render their materials in Designer despite its fussiness. I think a second look at the lighting and setup system would make the software feel even more professional.
Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:29:01 pm
3D art is magic.

I think a second look at the lighting and setup system would make the software feel even more professional.

Agreed

I've posted the proposal in the uservoice, for anyone who likes the idea. Cheers! ^^

https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/257908-substance-designer/suggestions/35709334-better-light-and-rendering-tools
3D art is magic.