Author Topic: Every-time I update, SD is super slow  (Read 605 times)

I've noticed this issue from the last few builds, and it appears every-time I update SD the UI will become extremely slow when searching, and browsing the library.

After looking at this in greater detail I'm guessing that because each update uninstalls the current SD version, and does a fresh install, something either with the database, or some file directory needs to rebuild. I'm assuming this because my disk usage goes to 100%, and if I leave SD open for around 20 minutes and wait until the usage drops off, I just have to reload SD and everything populates and is smooth like before.

I've also tried "restarting", and various other tricks with the registry but nothing seems to work unless I just let it do it's thing.

Is this normal for everyone, or is there a reason everything needs to rebuild for me? I just have to make it a habit to do my updates end day, and not during working hours.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Hi,

The problem probably comes from the library, yes.
Designer needs to rebuild the database when changes are made on a new version.
The time you have to wait for the library to be rebuilt depends on your hardware configuration and if you use custom nodes,filters or other stuff that are not available by default in the library.
The more info it has to load, the longer it will take to be rebuilt.

On my side I have a good hardware configuration, I install a new version of SD at least once a day (sometimes three or four) and I never experienced this problem.
So you probably have something on our side that cause this problem.

Feel free to send me your log file, I will check if I can find something that could explain this behavior.
Don't hesitate to give details on your infrastructure and/or on the way you work, it's useful for me.
(You can contact me using private message if you want)

Thanks !
QA Analyst

Thank you for your reply.

I've attached my log file but edited it to show just a single session, and put some placeholders under project names, and directory users.

On the machine that I'm working on, it does lack a decent graphics card which shouldn't impact loading a database, but I'm running:

Windows 10 64 Bit
i7 4790K @ 4 GHz
32 GB DDR3 - Duel Channel
GeForce GTX 760 GDDR5 - 4 GB (Dated Card)  ::)
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)