Author Topic: Basic Maya / Arnold 5 setup  (Read 4891 times)

Maya 2017 with Arnold 5 / Substance Painter 2.6.1

Which Substance Painter outputs do I plug into which aiStandardSurface channels?

where can I find a tutorial?

The documentation is outdated and very hard to understand. Can anyone help me and just write a simple explanation?

Thnks,

Well, the workflow is as simple as it can be:
Export the textures with the PBR MetalRough preset.

Base Color to Base Color
Metallic to Metalness
Roughness to Roughness (in the Specular component)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcf9zfdhnb2gfk4/Screenshot%202017-04-14%2023.19.19.png?dl=0

Of course you have to set the file nodes correctly as usual (set the Color Space attribute to Raw for Roughness, Metallic, Normal etc.), and turn on the Alpha is Luminance when you using the texture's Out Alpha output.
Because in the export preset the Normal map type was set to DirectX you only need to turn off the Flip R channel option in the bump2d node (Arnold section).

Cheers, D
Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:18:03 pm
I'm an Environment Artist and R&D Generalist at Digic Pictures

Base Color to Base Color
Metallic to Metalness

Of course you have to set the file nodes correctly as usual (set the Color Space attribute to Raw for Roughness, Metallic, Normal etc.), and turn on the Alpha is Luminance when you using the texture's Out Alpha output.
Because in the export preset the Normal map type was set to DirectX you only need to turn off the Flip R channel option in the bump2d node (Arnold section).

Cheers, D

Here is a question that puzzle me:

We used to have a f0 map to export in Arnold 4.But I can't find it in Arnold 5 export presets.

Why the new version delete the f0 map in Arnold 5?Dose it matter?Could I export a f0 map link to the IOR<Specular?

Thanks,

You don't need f0 or specular color maps anymore.
The new aiStandardSurface is an Albedo (Base Color)/Metallic/Roughness shader (like in Substance Painter or Iray).
All the Fresnel calculations is hidden inside the shader.

Actually the Specular color is a special case option, for more realistic metals.
"When Metalness is enabled, the Specular Weight and Specular Color only control the edge tint, while the Base is still affected by roughness."
https://support.solidangle.com/display/A5AFMUG/Base

Cheers, D
Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:53:55 pm

Base Color to Base Color
Metallic to Metalness

Cheers, D

Hi there! I'd like to take part of this asking if gammacorrect node is no needed anymore. So on every map, the only thing to do is connect Image node to material node. Right?

Thanks!

Basically yes, but you have to use Maya's Color Management System and you need to set the correct Color Space (and enable Alpha is Luminance where necessary) as I wrote before.
Cheers, D

p.s. You can define Input Color Space Rules (Preferences -> Color Management) to automate the Color Space settings in every file node:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/46bqmrt1zwckp6o/Screenshot%202017-09-18%2019.48.01.png?dl=0
Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:52:24 pm

Base Color to Base Color
Metallic to Metalness

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcf9zfdhnb2gfk4/Screenshot%202017-04-14%2023.19.19.png?dl=0

Cheers, D

Only the Flip R? Not the Flip G too? In all the videos I see people keep disabling them both. Which is the correct way? :)
Thanks
Paolo