Author Topic: Hide/unhide polygons  (Read 31358 times)

Ignore it if it is already has it.  But a lot of time geo gets in the way when painting.  A quick polyselect and be able to hide the selection and unhide easily will be a great feature.

Hi,

We thought about it, but the poly masking can cause issue in some cases (reprojection on a new mesh which don't have the same face number/geometry for example).

A good way to do it (that is non destructible) is to use several materials on the different parts of your mesh. Then, you can hide some parts using the "TextureSets" window. Hope it will fit with your needs.
You can also use the 2D view to have the possibility to easily paint on some parts that are hardly accessible on your mesh.
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

I will bump this thread.
I have come to several cases where hiding polygons would be extremely useful.
Just to make an example, I have a soldier that is wearing a flexible vest and some pouches.
As both the vest and the pouches share the same UV space, I can't separate them as two different materials, or I will have to merge the two textures into one in a separate application... which really shouldn't happen.
If reprojection is an issue, than I assume you could avoid reprojecting from hidden faces, or warning the user that some faces have been hidden amd the result may be unpredictable.

Thanks!

I agree. This feature would be great. Especially when creating LOD's. Alot of models only have one texture set when exporting to game engines and its difficult to get in and around certain areas of the model. Being able to select and hide polys would be fantastic.

In addition another feature which would also be really handy which is kind of off topic, but partly related - kind of....... :) Is being able to zoom to a specific point on the mesh with a short cut. "F" currently zooms out, but it would be really handy and help speed up painting if we can have a shortcut/selection that allows us to zoom and center round a specific area.

This feature would be really usefull. Also hide by mask, id_color etc

I would say that even just being able to hide a whole mesh would make things a lot easier.
Creating multiple materials just for the sake of working some details under some mesh is a pure pain in the butt. There's an example of common areas that would require such process :
- Inside the Mouth
- Extruded parts (most connections between parts like pouches, hat/head, boots/leg, gloves/arms,etc.)
- Gears or any mechanical parts that connecting at some points.
and many mores.

It's also a problem when using a material for multiple assets as we end up with 2 mostly bad choices :
A) Paint the assets separately then in another software, fuse the maps together.
B) Paint the assets together, but separate them far enough to remove chance that one paint onto the other. (Then navigating to paint become the pain in the butt as you need to "guess" the center of your view and move it toward each assets' center.)

Even just having the ability of turning off the rendering of a full mesh (as an FBX can contain more than 1 mesh) would only require the 3d artist to temporary detach the UVs part yet not moving them then detach the part of the mesh. Then turning off either of the 2 part inside Sub.Painter would make it easier to apply the details below the obstructing mesh part. Once it's done, attach the 2 parts (mesh) together and weld the uvs (which are still at the exact same place).

The process of fusing maps (from using multiple texturesets) together takes a lot more time than detach/attach the mesh... but just detaching the mesh, as of now, would mean to work on each part separately which isn't best either. (Even worse if you have to switch back and forth between the 3D software and Sub. Painter constantly just to remove parts and attach them back as you work on each part of the whole asset.)

While turning off specific triangles) of a mesh can be a problem, I wonder why turning off a whole mesh would also be a problem. After all, each mesh are read more or less separately within the fbx.
So, adding a windows called "MeshSet List" in which you can turn on and off every whole mesh would still be a huge help (especially for working with atlas of assets.)

Seconded, hiding geometry would be tremendously helpful.

Doing the same through texture sets can be done, but it's awkward, it requires pre-planning and forces you to work on different layer stacks, which is not always desired nor optimal, especially when you need to re-merge texture sets after exporting.

Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:17:13 pm

Bumping this thread couldn't find a newer topic on the subject. I use the ability to hide sub-objects quite often in 3D-Coat and it would be very useful in Substance. The fact that it's not in because it conflicts with the projection stuff sucks. Why can't hiding stuff just be considered an action included in the re-projection/undo stack? It's quite important to have this functionality when 3d painting.

Also creating materials for objects to be seperate/hideable in the TextureSet List causes more work to be done in the export process doesn't it? Maybe if there was a way to combine/merge TextureSets on an export? Either way a solution to this issue would be welcomed, we have a plan to transition to a Substance workflow studio-wide but this will definitely need to be addressed.

More support for hiding meshes.

I agree that hiding specific polys sounds too difficult with non-destructive painting, but hiding an entire named poly group would be nice.

Epi

*Bump*

Is this any closer to becoming a thing? I'd be very interested to see how other people get round this problem, as at the moment, I am having to paint parts of my models separately then combining them in to one texture afterwards in Photoshop.

I personally love the way Marmoset Toolbag allows you to bring in separate objects and you can hide parts that get in the way.

+1 to this. works great in 3Dcoat.
Creature / Character Artist Arenanet

http://bennettchris.artstation.com

I think this would be a great idea, I can think of several occasions where I being able to hide parts of a mesh would come in handy. Although, I would much rather be able to just work with separate texture sets (for baking purposes mainly) and then have Painter combine all of those textures as if I was working with one texture set upon export. Having to take all of those textures back into Photoshop and combining them all back together eats up a lot of the time I was saving by using Painter in the first place.

+1 I would like this, but there is sorta a way to do it already.

Texture Set Settings --> add an opacity channel to the texture set
Viewer Settings --> Shader - PBR metal Rough With Alpha Test
add a fill at the bottom of the layers
Set the opacity to full black will hide entire model
give it a white mask then poly paint the mask with black of what you want shown or other way around and invert it
Technically its a way to hide polies and if you mask your other layers as your painting then shouldn't have overlap

Not the easiest or the fastest, but just saying!
Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:16:09 pm

+1 I'm waiting for this feature for a long time to.
Big thanks for the tips @osias.lee.
Unfortunately when you try to paint through the hidden part, the brush is still hitting the hidden mesh and you can't realy paint on the area you want
Furthermore This is only working in Material mode; in some case I wanted to fix some occlusion baking errors, and switch to additional map view (B) -> the mesh became entirely visible.

I realy wish that Allegorithmic will find a way to make this possible in the next release.

I'm painting a large scene right now with quite a few elements, I already have 2 separate materials to separate the UVs sets, and would love to have an option to hide some meshed that are hiding other! So +1 from me to that request.