Author Topic: Normals inverted after import  (Read 560 times)

Hi, I'm working with Blender and exporting to Substance Painter. My exported .fbx file is correctly calculated with normals facing outwards:

but when opened in substance painter it appears inverted:
It shows correctly when rendered using Iray too, it's only inverted on the 3D view screen. What's going on here?

Difficult to say with the blend file. Have you tried opening the FBX you exported in Blender, see if it is part of the export process that is the issue?
Just do an FBX import.

The .fbx file imports correctly back into Blender. It also imports correctly into Unity.

Hmm, can you post the fbx?
does it look bad when you import before you texture?

99% of the time inverted normals are a problem in the source application, not Substance Painter.
Check that the material you use to visualize your geometry is not two-sided (both in blender and Unity), this will help see if normals are really inverted or not.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Did you try the Mesh> apply transformations and scale in Blender? This worked for me when i had this issue