Author Topic: Crash during save process  (Read 2434 times)

[MODERATOR EDIT] This message has been split from an other existing thread [/EDIT]

We identified and fixed the issue, we will soon release a new update that fixes it and other more minor issues that have been reported with 2018.1.2

Where is this fix you speak of?  I'm getting really frustrated at doing work and having it thrown away because the app. crashes when I try to save.  This is happening in 2018.1.2!  If this problem keeps popping up, I don't see any reason why anyone would continue to use your product.  This is a production killer!
Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:01:50 am

Which version are you using? Have you sent any crash report?
Also could you please attach a log file?
If you are using the latest version, your saving issue is unrelated to the original one in this thread, which has since been fixed.

I just updated my post.  Its 2018.2.1.  I'll send a log file later today, whenever the next crash happens.  Thanks Jeremie.
Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:59:43 pm

Allegorithmic,

My productivity has come to a complete halt due to Painter going unresponsive after every 3rd or 4th thing I try to do in the application, such as selecting a texture set.

I have cleaned my registry, uninstalled and reinstalled Painter, updated my drivers, and gone through numerous reboots in the process.  Yet Painter STILL has an issue with me doing basic operations.  The crash when saving bug is alive and well too, both at home and at school, which is to say the bug crosses multiple Painter versions.

I hope that you all will start showing some sign of fixing these issues, and stop replying to such posts as this with "have you tried....?"  We've all tried multiple things, probably anything you can toss at us and then some.  I'm not trying to be rude here, but this kind of performance, lack of fixes, and the incessant placing blame on the user is what kills apps by turning them into one that is completely and utterly useless!  You have competitors, but I'd like nothing more than to continue to use Painter as my go-to texture app.  Yet my faith is a bit low when the last post addressing this blamed nVidia drivers, and no update has been posted on this since May.
Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 01:11:48 am

Okay let's keep your issue in one thread please. This will be easier to track for everybody and make sure we can follow up properly on your problems without asking you twice the same things.  :)

I hope that you all will start showing some sign of fixing these issues, and stop replying to such posts as this with "have you tried....?"  We've all tried multiple things, probably anything you can toss at us and then some. 
We need more details to figure out why you are crashing. Context is important and answering our questions will give us a better understanding of the matter. You can't expect us to "fix the problem" if we know nothing about it and can't reproduce it to investigate it. So even if you feel like our questions are rudimentary or useless, they at least provide us context.

Now here is a bit of information about the save system : we reworked the save process a few month ago so that it crash when the save doesn't finish properly instead of closing the project like before (which coud lead to data corruption). This way we can be more aware of issues and fix them properly.
Likely in your situation, there is something specific that makes you crash all the time. If we figure what it is, we can implement a fix quickly and even send you an early build since you are under a specific time constraint.

---

So I have looked latest crash report you sent us and the log mention the following :
[INFO] <Qt> "[DBG INFO][Project]" "Saving project to 'D:/OneDrive/Blizzard Student Contest/Sub Painter Exports/Hoverbike v2.spp' in mode incremental"
[WARN] <Qt> "[DBG WARNING][Data url converter]" Resource QUrl("resource://allegorithmic.1c865f2e-31a9-4e34-b620-bf248e897bfe/shape/shape?version=1915c4df5847e865e7e329d02d1c2534c7b3b703.sbsar")  can't be found, trying to find a similar one
[WARN] <Qt> "[DBG WARNING][Data url converter]" Resource QUrl("resource://shelf.cbf305c4-0360-4b70-b854-b1130fa9c363/mg_dripping_rust/mg_dripping_rust?version=c5ff050bceca2ac18df0e635ff892bb9c2b53c01.sbsar")  can't be found, trying to find a similar one
[WARN] <Qt> "[DBG WARNING][Data url converter]" Resource QUrl("resource://project0/HoverbikeTextures?version=1ed102d9dde9ab2e7544b5e7b829fc8e1d4bb8d2.image")  can't be found, trying to find a similar one
[ ERR] <Qt> "[DBG ERROR][Project]" "struct std::_With_nested<class Alg::relocate_document_error,class Alg::relocate_document_error>" save failed (D:/OneDrive/Blizzard Student Contest/Sub Painter Exports/Hoverbike v2.spp, incremental)
[ ERR] <Qt> "[DBG ERROR][Project]" "class std::runtime_error" can't move project file 'D:/OneDrive/Blizzard Student Contest/Sub Painter Exports/Hoverbike v2.spp' to 'D:/OneDrive/Blizzard Student Contest/Sub Painter Exports/Hoverbike v2.18.08.14.19_43.spp'
[ ERR] <Qt> "[DBG ERROR][Main]" "Error Failed to relocate to saved project file 'D:/OneDrive/Blizzard Student Contest/Sub Painter Exports/Hoverbike v2.spp' sending event class QShortcutEvent to object SAVE_PROJECT (class QAction)"

Now a few questions :
- Did you try saving in an other location ? (Not in the OneDrive folder, maybe there is a conflict we are unaware here)
- You did an incremental save (CTRL+S) but did you try in a new file (Save As) ?
Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:29:50 am
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

- Did you try saving in an other location ? (Not in the OneDrive folder, maybe there is a conflict we are unaware here)
Yesterday I posted a topic with exactly the same problem https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,25331.0.html. Substance crashes while saving. What is really interesting is that I also store my projects in OneDrive folder.

Yesterday I posted a topic with exactly the same problem https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,25331.0.html. Substance crashes while saving. What is really interesting is that I also store my projects in OneDrive folder.
Does saving outside the OneDrive folder helps then ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Okay let's keep your issue in one thread please. This will be easier to track for everybody and make sure we can follow up properly on your problems without asking you twice the same things.  :)

I hope that you all will start showing some sign of fixing these issues, and stop replying to such posts as this with "have you tried....?"  We've all tried multiple things, probably anything you can toss at us and then some. 
We need more details to figure out why you are crashing. Context is important and answering our questions will give us a better understanding of the matter. You can't expect us to "fix the problem" if we know nothing about it and can't reproduce it to investigate it. So even if you feel like our questions are rudimentary or useless, they at least provide us context.

Now here is a bit of information about the save system : we reworked the save process a few month ago so that it crash when the save doesn't finish properly instead of closing the project like before (which coud lead to data corruption). This way we can be more aware of issues and fix them properly.
Likely in your situation, there is something specific that makes you crash all the time. If we figure what it is, we can implement a fix quickly and even send you an early build since you are under a specific time constraint.

---

So I have looked latest crash report you sent us and the log mention the following :
[INFO] <Qt> "[DBG INFO][Project]" "Saving project to 'D:/OneDrive/Blizzard Student Contest/Sub Painter Exports/Hoverbike v2.spp' in mode incremental"
[WARN] <Qt> "[DBG WARNING][Data url converter]" Resource QUrl("resource://allegorithmic.1c865f2e-31a9-4e34-b620-bf248e897bfe/shape/shape?version=1915c4df5847e865e7e329d02d1c2534c7b3b703.sbsar")  can't be found, trying to find a similar one
[WARN] <Qt> "[DBG WARNING][Data url converter]" Resource QUrl("resource://shelf.cbf305c4-0360-4b70-b854-b1130fa9c363/mg_dripping_rust/mg_dripping_rust?version=c5ff050bceca2ac18df0e635ff892bb9c2b53c01.sbsar")  can't be found, trying to find a similar one
[WARN] <Qt> "[DBG WARNING][Data url converter]" Resource QUrl("resource://project0/HoverbikeTextures?version=1ed102d9dde9ab2e7544b5e7b829fc8e1d4bb8d2.image")  can't be found, trying to find a similar one
[ ERR] <Qt> "[DBG ERROR][Project]" "struct std::_With_nested<class Alg::relocate_document_error,class Alg::relocate_document_error>" save failed (D:/OneDrive/Blizzard Student Contest/Sub Painter Exports/Hoverbike v2.spp, incremental)
[ ERR] <Qt> "[DBG ERROR][Project]" "class std::runtime_error" can't move project file 'D:/OneDrive/Blizzard Student Contest/Sub Painter Exports/Hoverbike v2.spp' to 'D:/OneDrive/Blizzard Student Contest/Sub Painter Exports/Hoverbike v2.18.08.14.19_43.spp'
[ ERR] <Qt> "[DBG ERROR][Main]" "Error Failed to relocate to saved project file 'D:/OneDrive/Blizzard Student Contest/Sub Painter Exports/Hoverbike v2.spp' sending event class QShortcutEvent to object SAVE_PROJECT (class QAction)"

Now a few questions :
- You did an incremental save (CTRL+S) but did you try in a new file (Save As) ?

I haven't tried saving in another area.
Save As... is what I usually use now as it seems to work better.

Does saving outside the OneDrive folder helps then ?
Substance don't crash so far. But I think it's too early to say if it helps 100% because I didn't work too much in Substance today.

I haven't tried saving in another area.
Save As... is what I usually use now as it seems to work better.
Okay, let us know how is goes then.
We are currently investigation on our side if saving in a OneDrive folder could lead to crashes.

You also mentionned the following by PM :
I just selected a texture set and BAM unresponsive.  I then relaunched Painter, selected the set, made it a smart material then selected another texture set and BAM unresponsive.
Does the application crash or does it stays unresponsive indefinitely ? If it doesn't crash, it sounds a lot like a freeze that happens with recent Nvidia GPU drivers. From the log file in your crash report it mentions you are running with drivers 398.11 instead of the 388.71 that we recommend in this thread
 https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22711.0.html

I know these are old drivers and you wish to keep your machine up to date, but at the moment they are problematic for Substance Painter on some computers and we are still investigating the reason. I have myself never got a freeze with recent drivers expect for Photoshop, while Substance Painter runs fine for example. The QA team is still looking into it.
So meanwhile, I would suggest following our recommendations for the time being and downgrading your GPU drivers. At least for finishing your work and reaching your deadline without more issues.
-----------

Today Painter worked much better.  It did repeat the going unresponsive when clicking a texture set, but this was after I had worked on a few of them for 30-45 minutes.  So, I'm able to get some work done, rather than have almost every selection of a texture set cause the unresponsiveness.  The file I'm working on it is not in my OneDrive folder, but in my standard Windows 10 Documents folder.