Author Topic: Crazy lag on space menu in 2018.2.0  (Read 493 times)

My spacebar menu is taking 10-15 seconds to show up after I hit space, and then another 5 or so seconds to enter anything I type. It's unusable at the moment. I've uninstalled the program, deleted my preferences, and removed the HKEY files twice now to do a clean install. Nothing works. Getting very frustrated with this software.

I'm running Windows 10 on a GTX 1080TI and 32 GB of ram, it's definitely not my hardware.

On further investigation I think it's a problem with my entire library, not just the spacebar menu. It is taking a really long time to load each section whenever I click on it.

Hi Creuser,

Can you please post a screenshot of your library settings ?
What is the size of your custom library ?

Can you also try the following steps :

- Make sure Designer is closed
- In Windows Search use the command 'regedit', it will open Registry Editor.
- Follow the path : 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER'->'SOFTWARE'->'Allegorithmic'->'Substance Designer'->'5_x'
- Before deleting the folder '5_x', right click on it and export it in order to make a backup

If it still doesn't work, please attach your log file.

Thanks  :)
Q.A Analyst

Hey, thanks for responding. I'm using the default library.

My settings are also default.

Interesting thing: After leaving Designer open all night, the interface is now snappy. I tried closing and reopening and it's still quick to open the space menu and load the library sections.

Is there some kind of caching that goes on right after a fresh install that takes a while in order to get the library into memory or something? I included my log file in the first post when I was having the issue, and I'll include one from right now while it's working properly so you can maybe glean some info on what's going on from them.

and the recent log file

Just installed the latest SD update, (build 1495), since then opening and attempting to select nodes from the search is painfully slow, taking several seconds to even recognise a keystroke, it has made SD pretty much unusable.

Interesting thing: After leaving Designer open all night, the interface is now snappy. I tried closing and reopening and it's still quick to open the space menu and load the library sections.

Is there some kind of caching that goes on right after a fresh install that takes a while in order to get the library into memory or something?

I can confirm I've found something similar, all of a sudden, SD is back to working at a decent speed. Definitely sounds like it's doing some "heavy lifting" in the background on an inittial run after update.

Hi guys,

Can you try this :

- Make sure Designer is closed
- In Windows Search use the command 'regedit', it will open Registry Editor.
- Follow the path : 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER'->'SOFTWARE'->'Allegorithmic'->'Substance Designer'->'5_x'
- Before deleting the folder '5_x', right click on it and export it in order to make a backup

Also can you try to re-build your database ? Edit > Preferences > Library.

If it still doesn't work, I would like to make a team viewer session with one of you.

Thanks  :)
Q.A Analyst

I'm having the exact same problem right now. Just did a fresh install of the latest Substance Designer package and the entire node library and space bar search functionality is painfully slow. I'm hoping that it gets better after a while as some others have stated here.

*EDIT*
Now the node library is working perfectly fine and running well. Not sure what happened, but as some others have said, it's like the fresh install takes a little while to initiate properly.
Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 02:43:26 pm