Author Topic: Substance Painter instant-crashing, cannot determine cause  (Read 208 times)

Hi

To sum things up, I've been running Substance painter since 2015 on a 2013 Macbook Pro bootcamped with Windows 7. It's always ran pretty great despite the somewhat dated tech, and I use it in my field of profession

Recently however, Painter has been acting up pretty badly. After the update to 2018.2.3 it became virtually unusable, crashing at the first attempt to do anything, so I had to downgrade to 2018.1.3 and was stuck there ever since, but at least it was stable and I was able to resume work.

Now however, despite the lack of any real updates or changes to anything, Painter has become extremely unstable. It crashes when I attempt to open an existing project while another is open in the same program, when I try to replace the project mesh, or sometimes even from just loading things into the shelf. I really have no idea what could have started this. I know the tech is dated but I can't think of anything that would have caused this instability to start happening.

My display adapter is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650 (I don't know if that's the actual graphics card or something bootcamp installed, I don't totally get Bootcamp) with a driver dated 2014 (it doesn't like updates, I've tried). I really hope there's some way to troubleshoot this that doesn't involve "get a new computer" because I don't have the resources or time to manage such a thing.