Author Topic: Maya 2016 issues creating 16-bit displacement w/ sbsar  (Read 2720 times)

Hey everyone,

I am currently running into a 16-bit issue with using the Substance Texture node within Maya. I have set all of the nodes in the Height output chain to 16-bit in Substance Designer, and when I manually export the maps out of Substance Designer, these are outputted at 16-bit.  However, when I use the Substance Node in Maya, and create maps using "Automatic Connections," there is banding and artifacts in the render.  If I open the map generated by "Automatic Connections" in Photoshop, I can see that this image is 8-bit.

I'm trying to figure how to make this auto-generated map to save at 16-bit so that I will not see banding in the Displacement. Saving out images will not work for the needs of this project. If possible, keeping the procedural dynamic attributes for animation purposes is preferable.

I'm using VRay as the renderer and Designer 5.6.2. Also, this is for an animation/vfx type pipeline not real-time. Any ideas?

Banding:

Map created using "Automatic Connections" is piped into the Displacement Shader in Maya:

Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:51:20 am

Hi,

Can you send me your graph ?
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

Hi Nicolas,

I sent you a PM.

Hi,

Can you send me your graph ?

I have the same problem here.  I think it was because of the cache texture is forced to set to 8bit depth . This is very bad for displacement map,thus the substance plugin  is not usable for vfx industry.

It's definitely because the output image type only supports 8-bit textures. We're looking at having it able to export .exr files in the next release, which should be out soon.
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

Exr image support has been added into the next release for the auto bake, and 16 and 32 bit floats were already supported internally, so when it releases soon this should be addressed properly.
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

Exr image support has been added into the next release for the auto bake, and 16 and 32 bit floats were already supported internally, so when it releases soon this should be addressed properly.

Great news.
Cheers, D
I'm an Environment Artist and R&D Generalist at Digic Pictures