Author Topic: Creating a Hexagon pattern, using shades of grey from a Perlin noise node?  (Read 230 times)

Okay, so this is quite an oddball question. But to put it simply: I am attempting to create a packed hexagonal tiled pattern (easy enough), the catch however, is that I want each Hexagon to be a different shade of grey, However (however), I need the shade of grey to be determined by a Perlin noise node, the shade sampled by each individual hexagon, relative to its position in the frame.

Sure, I could use a flood fill > Random Greyscale node combo, but that wouldn't suffice, since the Perlin noise node has important relative data that I must utilize for this pattern, and they greyscale values can't be random.

Here is an Image of a close success I had

To explain what is going on: I created a tiled grid of tiny discs. I then treated them as pinholes that would sample a tiny area of perlin noise, I proceeded to use  a"Distance" node to complete the hexagon shape (that: due to the arrangement, would form perfect hexagons). The issue being, and why so many strange artefacts occurred, is because even though the holes were tiny, they captured the slight gradient that perlin noise ultimately consists of, which then causes the Distance node to assume that the slight gradient was part of the shape.

I have tried shrinking the "Shape" to a single pixel, however, this was unreliable, buggy, and wouldn't work with further parameters, such as those that would increase/reduce the number of tiles.

I feel that all I need at this point is for each "pin hole" ,as I described, to be converted to a flat (or average colour).

Will I need to learn how to utilize the Pixel Processor Node for this? or is there a simpler method that I am not seeing.

Thank you!

hey, a polygon + a tile sampler should be more than enough to realise this: just add an offset of 0.5, than ajust the y pattern number and size:

Ah Perfect! For anyone else who is curious: I Then proceeded to plug my "Perlin Noise" into the "Colour Map Input" on the "Tile Sampler", afterwards just ramp up the "Colour Parametrization Multiplier".

Thank you Vincent.